Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry question

Quote Originally Posted by shermdo View Post
    The carry license has no connection to your handguns. Your PA carry license is for any handgun or handgun(s). Disclosure of what firearms you might own is NOT in any way part of the application or process. Unfortunately you do live in Philadelphia so they will be a pain in the backside from what I have read but when all is said and done they do have to issue you a license if you do not have a crimnal record, etc.

We would be happy to answer any specific questions that you might have.
    ah ok, and this carry licence I can get at the police station? also how long does it take to get this licence?do they give it to you on the spot? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th Survivor View Post
    ah ok, and this carry licence I can get at the police station? also how long does it take to get this licence?do they give it to you on the spot? Thanks
    See here:
    http://www.ppdonline.org/hq_gunpermit.php

(Perry County)

I completely agree with you, since I lived in NY I had been carrying my gun without a permit but I really am considering getting one. the only reason I hadnt got one yet is because im not looking to get interrogated for a permit and I dont know what they are gonna start asking me...is there by any chance a way to apply for this permit online? also does this permit cover me for all my handguns? also will they ask me about my guns or where I got em? Thx
    Well, worrying about being "interrogated" to get a permit will pale in comparison to being charged with a crime if you are caught carrying without a license...especially in Philadelphia.

The permit is good for any of your handguns.

No...LTCFs are not just handed out online. You will need to go into the courthouse to fill it out in person. As long as you are not a prohibited person, you have nothing to worry about. They should not ask you about your handguns and where you got them, but why are you concerned about that? That seems odd.

If I were you, I would stop carrying your firearm illegally immediately and go apply for a LTCF. Unfortunately for you, you live in Philly and those scum bags make it harder than it should be.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Philadelphia County)

Ok I have 1 problem......I was about to print out the application and I noticed that I need 2 references of PA residents that are not family......I dont know anyone who would be willing to fill these out nor do I want anyone knowing that im carrying a gun...is there any way to get around this?

the only reason I hadnt got one yet is because im not looking to get interrogated for a permit and I dont know what they are gonna start asking me...
    If you are worried some thing in your background will come out, chances it will, if all you are worried about is being from New York, then the PA gun permit process is not like new York's We dont have gustapo here.
    But all in all, the mere fact that you are asking this question here leads me to wonder what you have to hide.
    As always the advice we give here is take it or leave it. we are NOT lawyers, but in general people fear about their past more then they need to. You either know a PICS will pass, or you know it wont. If you did some thing criminal as described in the LTCF form, then you wont pass, other then that, at most the Police or Sheriff will just ask standard routine questions. I ended up talking about milk and cows with the lady I spoke with.

Ok I have 1 problem......I was about to print out the application and I noticed that I need 2 references of PA residents that are not family......I dont know anyone who would be willing to fill these out nor do I want anyone knowing that im carrying a gun...is there any way to get around this?
    Yeah, give them 2 people you know and dont worry about it. If they call them, it will be to ask them general questions. Maybe join a gun club where your "NEW" friends already know you are around guns.
    Last edited by Frenchy; September 10th, 2007 at 10:06 AM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(York County)

Not sure if references have to be PA residents. The Philly form states "they SHOULD be PA residents". Although it's not Philly, the Bucks County permit application does not have any statement about where the residents should reside, nore does it request the drivers license number for the references... only name, address, and phone number.

Additionally, the clerk that took my application specifically said the references do not have to be PA residents..... so I listed one from another state.... no problems.

To top it off, neither of my references were contacted....

Sounds like Philly is imposing its own additional requirements on top of state requirements. You might be able to argue that one and win.

(Perry County)

Sure...just tell them you don't want to give any references and they'll be fine with it. </sarcasm>

Seriously...no offense, but your questions about the LTCF process raise more than one red flag. You want to do it online, you don't want to give references, you're concerned that they'll ask about your guns and you started off by asking about the penalty for carrying a gun illegally...
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

I just wanna jump in for a second.
    I am from NYC. I switched my drivers license from NY to PA to. Went immediately to the Sheriff to apply for my LTCF. I also downloaded/printed the app. I did not put any references on the app. Sheriff told me I needed references. I told him I just moved to PA and did not have any PA references. He said you need references. I put down 2 close friends from NY. They do not have to be PA references. I also told him that I already purchased a handgun. He prolly figured that I already passed the PICS. He approved app on the spot. And till this day the sheriff never checked the references.
    GOOD LUCK and remember you have made some friends of this forum. Welcome!

(Beaver County)

what type of charges/time would I face if I got caught with a gun in philadelphia without a carry with permit? I know quite a few people here in philly who carry concealed guns in public and when i ask them if they have a ccw permit some didnt even know they existed....
    Personally that sounds like a crock to me - didn't know they existed? C.mon...

I'd be scared spitless to carry without a permit. You get caught and you are royally screwed.

In my county the refernces had to be not only from PA, but from my county. I used co-workers. They know we go to ranges and shoot.
    Vicky

(Berks County)

I moved to Carbon County from Lehigh. When I applied I had plenty of Lehigh County references but I was told they had to reside in Carbon county. I took a little but I got enough.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast