Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Help identifying a flintlock pistol

I picked up an old flintlock that I can't seem to identify. I know a guy who is "in to" the old flintlocks (used to make them in Williamsburg, VA) and knows it was made in the 1700's for military use (and it has been used) and isn't English, French or German.

Anyone have a resource that can help me identify it? It's got lot's of ID marks but I get no hits on the internet. It has a crown with a "T5" on the lock, "No=18=A" on the barrel and the serial number stamped on all the major pieces.

Thanks!

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Help identifying a flintlock pistol

serial number on a flintlock= red flag.
    serial number on most pieces= that flag is flying in a gale.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by jruddell View Post
    I picked up an old flintlock that I can't seem to identify. I know a guy who is "in to" the old flintlocks (used to make them in Williamsburg, VA) and knows it was made in the 1700's for military use (and it has been used) and isn't English, French or German.

Anyone have a resource that can help me identify it? It's got lot's of ID marks but I get no hits on the internet. It has a crown with a "T5" on the lock, "No=18=A" on the barrel and the serial number stamped on all the major pieces.

Thanks!
    We'll need photos to even begin to estimate what you have.

Agreed, a serial number hints that it's a recent reproduction, but might also be something else. Again, without photos, it's all speculation.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Berks County)

Link to a page with some "Crown" proof marks.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/proofmarks.html

We need some pictures if you can post them. Should be able to at least steer you in the right direction.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Chester County)

I will take pics tonight after work. Thanks!!!! The people that make up this forum are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by jruddell View Post

Thanks!
    Send a picture and all the info you have to "mark@oldguns.net" Or head on over to the Baltimore antique gun show this weekend Mark should be there for Rocky Mountain Sports, but many other folks there can help you as well.

(Chester County)

Pics attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Send a picture and all the info you have to "mark@oldguns.net" Or head on over to the Baltimore antique gun show this weekend Mark should be there for Rocky Mountain Sports, but many other folks there can help you as well.
    It'll have to be via email. Thanks!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Mail bounced with a "no user here" error. Can you check the address?

(Montgomery County)

Can't tell much from the pictures, sorry. Do you have any full-length shots? Any clearer pictures of the markings, particularly any markings on the lock, hammer, and barrel? Also any markings on the stock. If it's not English, French or German (and I'm not sure it's not) my guess would be Belgian (or Dutch, which back then was kind of the same thing), just because it was a center for arms-making in the 18th and 17th centuries. Definitely a martial piece -- probably a dragoon pistol or blunderbuss of some sort.

If you have the time you might want to take it up to Dixon's Muzzeloading up in Kempton, Berks County (http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/index.php). Chuck or Greg Dixon may be able to help you ID it better -- they know a lot more than I do. You also might want to post your question (and any other pix you can take) to the Antiqueguns.com forum (http://www.antiqueguns.com/phorum/list.php?6) -- the gents over there are very knowledgeable, and there's a guy named Bill Curtis who is especially knowledgeable on European antique guns.
    Last edited by shiloh; March 16th, 2010 at 02:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast