Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Crimson Trace Owners..

Tell me your experiences~how you well you do or don't like it.

I recently sent for their free DVD about their laser sights~~I find it more difficult everytime I go to the range to shoot. My eyesight isn't the best anymore and lining up sights with progressive lens glasses (fancy bifocals) isn't making the experience much better. The DVD was pretty interesting and showed some things I hadn't thought of but still wonder about the RL peoples' experiences.

Along with your comments I have a couple questions [keep in mind I'd be putting these onto a Beretta 92, S&W 60, maybe a Beretta Tomcat if I hit the lottery].

1. Battery life?
    2. Point of aim~~where did you sight yours in?
    3. Any training/holster/carry adjustments?

Thanks
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

Default Re: Crimson Trace Owners..

I have 3.... Colt Combat Commander, S&W J-frame and Ruger LCP.
    My wife and I both carry and have absolutely no problems at all. They're easy to sight in and fit in all holsters that we already had. (The Ruger would be the only one that would not fit a "standard" holster.....as for battery life....I don't know....we haven't had to replace any yet!

(Franklin County)

I love mine, and will have them on any piece I carry daily. Battery life is decent (can't tell you how many hours). The nice thing is that even if the switch is 'on', the battery is not drained unless the laser is actually activated.

Mine is sighted for point of impact at 7 yards.

Have not had extensive training. One thing to keep in mind (just like a tactical light) is to use intermittently if telegraphing your position is an issue in a given situation. I did have to note the use of the laser when ordering a custom leather holster, but it fits in my Serpa with no modification at all. Mine is on a commander-length 1911.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Everything sounds good so far..
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Lehigh County)

I have one on my Glock G19, no problems, allows me to have a wider perspective while staying on target. No battery issues - I'd recommend once a year as preventative. Sighted in at 7 yards. Mine is grip based with the laser high on the right grip and a pressure switch on the rear of the grip. No holster constraints, I use a Kramer OWB forward cant horsehide.

My wife has one on her Keltec P32, did wonders for her trigger control because she can actually see the results of pulling. Hers has a very short sight path, so it also made the difference between hitting targets and low flying birds. She uses a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Holster matters for her because hers wraps the trigger shroud.

Best of Luck!
    I am ashamed of those who represent me.

(Cambria County)

Have had one on my XD Subcompact for over a year now. Only thing I noticed is that after about a year. The sight needed to be resighted in. The dot appeared to have moved a bit. Nothing that would effect aiming at anything under 20 yards. I have the dot sitting right on top of my sights at around 7 - 10 yards. It had moved to the right about two inches at 10 yards.

I test mine every time I put my pistol on (First to make sure it works, and second to make sure the dot hasn't moved). I have used it quite a bit when I'm outside by myself at night. Seeing how far it goes. ( I live in the woods). All that testing and playing and the same battery is still going strong well after a year of putting it on the gun.

Fits any holster I have used. Feels a bit thicker than my original grips. But I got use to it very quickly.

I love mine. Couldn't imagine not having it on the pistol.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Lackawanna County)

I have a set on my XD .45 Service, grip mount.

They make handling the gun a lot more comfortable.

Mine are sighted for 10 yards; with enough practice, everything from point-blank out to 50 yards are easy to adjust for at the range while firing (not actually adjusting the laser, just getting used to where the slug hits versus where the dot is.).

When you first start using the laser, you will be terrified by how much your point of aim actually moves even if you think that you are holding rock solid.You'll find yourself doing a zillion dry-fire drills at home and really snugging up your hold.

You can get on target immediately, even if you can't get the gun out in front of you to use the iron sights; mine are co-witnessed with the iron sights at ten yards, so the front sight dot covers the laser dot; that way I don't need to depend on the laser.

Battery life? Good question. I call CT and they send me a set once a year, supposedly for life.

My sights use CR-2032s, a pair; they should be good for about 200 hours of laser on life for cheapies, the better quality ones can last 350-400 hours.

The only time I had to use it in s self-defense situation, simply lighting the BG up made the guy whiz himself, scream, literally like a little girl, and run away.

I'll never own another carry gun without one.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(York County)

Has been on my Sig 229 (40 S&W/357) for several years. Have the original
    CT that has the on/off switch on the base of the grip at the rear of the magazine well. The button is activated by the middle index finger of the
    shooting hand, never a problem with the grip, fits perfectly. POI, 10 yds
    Center of Mass. Battery is changed yearly. Highly reccomend it.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Bucks County)

Where did everyone get their CT? I looked on Ebay, I need one for my XDs.....

(Lackawanna County)

i actually was going to ask a similar question, so here goes some awesome threadjacking:

i've been thinking about a Lasermax guiderod laser for my 1911. i've already considered the Crimson Trace grip laser, but that would involve getting a new ambi safety as well. also, i wouldn't need to adjust it. they cost about the same. has anyone here used that ype of laser?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast