Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default A boy and his rifle.

I took my son out to shoot his Cricket today. We had a small metal swinging target.

But it was not working too well for him. The iron sights are too low on the rifle for him.
    So then he insisted to use daddy's rifle. I left it on 3x but he started to hit all 3 swingers so I think I'll scope his rifle.

Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(York County)

Default Re: A boy and his rifle.

That is great, I can't wait to take my daughter out shooting....followed closely by her little brother.

Your son is lucky, I vividly remember going shooting and hunting with my dad.

Keep up the great work...I don't think your son could look any happier.

(Luzerne County)

Congrats on a great day. The pic's bring back memories when I was the little boy with my Dad and uncle about 30ish years ago. I cant wait to take my son in a few years he is 4 and I just cant wait for his first range trip. Well I guess maybe I don't want to wish the years away that quick.

(Dauphin County)

Way-to-go dad...
    My boy love to go shooting with me...

(Pike County)

way too go ,,great day for both you guys,,

Way to go in taking him out shooting . He looks like he's very excited and happy to shoot. He looks like an awesome little guy and future member of PAFOA.

Remember to watch the trigger finger in the guard when he's not shooting. The other thing that might help out his shooting is remember NOT to rest the barrel on anything. I notice with his cricket and the 10/22 the barrel is resting on the front rest. This changes the point of impact from when the barrel is not resting on it, or when it's at a slightly different angle. It can really wreak havoc on barrel harmonics, so you might try to place the stock on the rest, might get rid of some of those fliers, or shifting POI from different positions/rests.

(Lancaster County)

Awesome job getting him started early.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

(Monroe County)

how old is your son and how did you determine he was ready to start shooting?
    My kids are 6 and I haven't taken them to the range yet, but I did buy a 22 for them last weekend that I haven't told them about. Thier b day is coming up in a month, so I figured I should get them some guns.Twins, so I still have to get another 22. That's something they would fight about.
    Congrats on getting the little man started right.
    Don't take anything I say seriously, unless I say seriously. Seriously.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Remember to watch the trigger finger in the guard when he's not shooting. The other thing that might help out his shooting is remember NOT to rest the barrel on anything. I notice with his cricket and the 10/22 the barrel is resting on the front rest. This changes the point of impact from when the barrel is not resting on it, or when it's at a slightly different angle. It can really wreak havoc on barrel harmonics, so you might try to place the stock on the rest, might get rid of some of those fliers, or shifting POI from different positions/rests.
    It's his 2nd trip so... as for the BBL I know.... but the bench/chair/rest setup decided it. He won't be doing tit when I'm getting him ready to shoot the Interservice matches like his old man.

Quote Originally Posted by sublime1 View Post
    how old is your son and how did you determine he was ready to start shooting?
    My kids are 6 and I haven't taken them to the range yet, but I did buy a 22 for them last weekend that I haven't told them about. Thier b day is coming up in a month, so I figured I should get them some guns.Twins, so I still have to get another 22. That's something they would fight about.
    Congrats on getting the little man started right.
    He's 5. What got me thinking is seeing others with their kids and posts. What really did it is when I would be dry firing he would scold me not to shoot in the house and make sure it was not loaded. Now this would be out of the blue so ok safety check, next I took him to a few LRGC shoots to see how he would react with live fire. He behaved and was mindful of what was going on check, Then the cricket showed up in the gun store my wife works in $100-done.
    1st trip he had issues with wanting to handle the rifle when the range was cold. So I made him hold his hand out to give it a little slap and then just packed it up. Also going shooting is Dependant on his behaving so don't listen to mom, no range time.
    But he was doing great this time. Hard part is getting hearing and eye protection in his size.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

That's just great to see. My wife is pregnant with our first, and I'm already anxious about the first trip to the range with my heirloom .22 that my dad bought for me when I was born. I envy you!

The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living
    with power to endanger the public liberty. -John Adams