Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: It's down to two - help me choose

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    also, I forgot about this..the CZ pistols have a magazine break installed in them so the magazines do not drop freely..you'll have to replace (not sure if you can modify the stock 1 to make it work) the magazine break if you want the magazines to drop freely when you hit the mag release button:
    http://czcustom.com/testproduct-192.aspx

here's my CZ 85B
    Ruh Roh Rorge. My CZ-75B must be malfunctioning. The mags would never stop falling if the floor or range shelf wasn't there. (I think they changed things, at least on the 75B.)

(Bucks County)

[QUOTE=bripro;1138233]I guess by the pic my suggestion is obvious. I know its not around the corner but if you are ever up in Lebanon in Lanc county a shop called Shydas stocks a full line of Berettas and has either made in th US or Italian blued 92s nib for 529.

Thanks for the tip. $529 is a VERY good price. Best I've found is $595. Might be time for a little road trip.
    Last edited by triplebike; March 15th, 2010 at 12:59 AM.

(Bucks County)

[QUOTE=Mity2;1138366]my suggestion would be a CZ75B(And I love Beretta).

Main reason?
    CZ75B is an all steel gun. Where as 92F/S is steel/aluminum gun.
    When put side by side, and everything else being equal, steel always outlast aluminum.

Beretta's open slide design is elegant to look at, but put side by side, CZ's more conventional port ejection design is much stronger then that of Beretta 92F/S's open top slide. Infact, slide did failed on enough of early M9's that they revise the design detail(am not sure what they did - I know that on current model, if slide do come apart during shooting, slide would not fly out towords operater's face as early failed M9 did)
    Now, Beretta 92Brigadier, it may be stronger, but still don't change the fact its strengthend slide thats weak in the first place.
    Slightly heavier steel gun, when everything else is equal, is always easier on recoil too.
    But since you did mention longevity, CZ is obvious choice here.

Second reason?
    92F/S's front sight is not dovetailed or pinned. if you ever want to add night sight to it, you'll either have to have dovetail machined(means $$$), or have trijicon drill hole to install tritium bar(as my 96D is, and not cheap to replace).
    CZ75B is pinned. You want night sight, knock the pin out, install new NS, reinstall the pin, and your good to go.

Thank you for your very informative reply. Excellent info, greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by triplebike; March 15th, 2010 at 12:59 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    gotta love the southpaws. =P

Triplebike...I'm headed to Chalfont on Wednesday or Thursday with my CZ-85B and Browning Hi-Power to get some smith work done on them, but you're more than welcome to shoot them if you pay for range fees and your own ammo. My CZ-85B might spoil you though..it's worked pretty good. =P
    Thanks for the offer. I wish I could take you up on it, but can't. My local range has a Beretta rental. I will probably shoot it next week.

(York County)

I don't know much about the CZ and have never shot a berretta 92FS. I do however own a Taurus PT99 (my first hand gun) which was built on berretta's old machinery. It has only had one malfunction (stovepipe) which I have determined to be from cheap ammo. I guess I've put about 3 thousand rounds through it so far and it works flawlessly. With the adjustable rear sight it is very accurate.
    I like to looks of the open slide. I was talked into buying the Taurus becasue of the lower price. If I had to do it ove again I would have gotten the beretta and not looked back. The Taurus has served me well but it's not a beretta.
    One thing to consider and I think you have (as you stated you had handled them both) is the size of the grip and the distance to the trigger when firing DA. The alloy frame makes it a tad lighter but that doesn't mean that recoil is greater especially when loaded with 15 rounds of 9mm.

Sid

(Monroe County)

For those of you needing a front night sight for a 92 , Meprolight makes one that fits over top of the factory sight. You just drill a hole through the side of the factory sight and pin it.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/meprolig...retta-92f.html
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; March 14th, 2010 at 11:27 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks_County_Buckmark View Post
    I know you said your down to two.... but if you rjust looking for a fun gun, go over to Surplus City in Southhampton and check out some of the Military Surplus 9mm they are around 300.00 to 400.00 and they are new in the box...

Make sure you talk to the guys at Tanners before you commit, it's worth the drive.
    My 1st pistol was purchased at Seneca Arms. My last two pistols were purchased at Tanners. I was at Surplus City last week, they do have some neat Military surplus 9MM but not what I'm looking for this time. Thanks

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
    My 1st pistol was purchased at Seneca Arms. My last two pistols were purchased at Tanners. I was at Surplus City last week, they do have some neat Military surplus 9MM but not what I'm looking for this time. Thanks
    no worries...it's easier to make a decision after you shoot both guns, imo...it'll be almost impossible to find a range that rents a CZ..I've never found 1 and I've shot at quite a few ranges.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Delaware County)

I will throw my .02 in and vote for the Beretta I have a 92fs Vertec and love it. If you didnt mind getting a used Beretta 92fs look for a Vertec the grip feels so much better to me and I like the look of them a little better

I have both and say get the CZ75B. That said, which one fits your hand best is the one to get. I have never had any trouble with a 92 or a 75. They both take what ever ammo I feed them. Both are simple take down and clean. If I had to get a new one it would be the CZ75B in SS because I don't have one. Both are good workhorse's, but I like the CZ75. But, give me a good deal on a 92 and I give it a good home.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast