Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Laser light or night sights

I am thinking of buying a glock. What is recommended, laser light, or just Glock factory night sights?
    1 step at a time will get you through a hard journey!

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Laser light or night sights

Quote Originally Posted by yldwill View Post
    I am thinking of buying a glock. What is recommended, laser light, or just Glock factory night sights?
    I'd go with an internal laser sight - if you want to swing the $ 250 - $ 300 bucks I only have one pistol with night sights, and they are just "ok" in my book - although I know many swear by them. The add on lasers and lights are all too bulky for me. So I guess my choice would be internal laser if I had the change, if not, I'd just go with night sights over a laser that is an add on to the rail. Good luck !

(Lancaster County)

It depends on what you are doing with the gun. My two that I keep in the house both have TLR-2s on the rails. This is a laser/light combination. If I could only have a laser or a light I would definately go with a light by the way. I also have a Glock 27 which is for carry. On that I have a Lasermax guide rod laser. The problem with that is that it is a rather unnatural movement to turn it on as the switch is where the take down pins are. Although I dont like the look of them the Crimson Trace might be a better option for a laser on a Glock. They look like they would get in the way of some of my carry methods though.

i have night sights on mine from Trijicon... i personally dont have one of these but ive used it and loved it even though like bripro said its an unnatural movement to turn it on, its by Lasermax
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Montgomery County)

I recommend night sights for a very practical reason, focus. The fundamentals of handgun shooting teach us to focus on the front sight. If you use a laser it encourages focus on the target that the laser is striking. I prefer to keep all of my training the same (Keep It Simple Steve or KISS) so that in an emergency ones training takes over.

That focal point issue is the biggest negative I see with lasers on handguns. You really cannot go wrong with night sights and a powerful weaponlight, they compliment each other.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cambria County)

Both...

Night sights are what you should be training yourself to use all the time. So, when things go badly, you will, or should, fall back to what you trained yourself to do, which is look for sights.

But a laser does have it's place in my opinion. It is comforting when you pull that pistol up and look down the sights, to also see the red dot on your target. It reassures you that your on target. It allows you to shoot without bringing the pistol up to your eye level if you have to, and to know your on target. Shooting from the hip, while engaged in a hand to hand fight and knowing where your sights are without looking down the sights.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; March 14th, 2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: speliling
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post

But a laser does have it's place in my opinion. It is comforting when you pull that pistol up and look down the sights, to also see the read dot on your target. It reassures you that your on target. It alllows you to shoot without bringing the pistol up to your eye level if you have to, and to know your on target. Shooting from the hip, while engaged in a hand to hand fight and knowing where your sights are without looking down the sights.
    good point never really thought of that

(Chester County)

The LaserMax has terrible battery life, you can't zero them to your sights, they accumulate GSR on them after a few rounds and get fuzzy fast, and no-one is going to turn them on after a rushed defensive draw.

If you want a visible laser, get Crimson Traces.

And while lasers can can be useful for some people in some situations, they are NO replacement for a good set of sights.

(Cambria County)

I have tried this with really satisfying results. I stood right in front of a IDPA target. I then punched the target in the face, and then while backpedaling, pulled my pistol and fired from the hip. With the laser, I could tell when the gun was on target, and was very reassuring.

My buddy and I did this. We did it with my laser equipped pistol, and then with his without a laser. We both agreed the lasers dot was much more reassuring, and yes, we both shot much better groups, faster with the laser equipped pistol.

I shot a IDPA Night Match with it (Score didn't count). I sucked. But mostly because I was trying to use my flashlight to much. Once I relied on the laser to do what it is suppose to, I did really well. One stage I engaged 3 different targets at arms length while backing up, and then ran around a barricade to engage 3 more targets. Firing with the pistol in front of me at waist level, just watching the red dot on the target, as I backed up, the laser gave me great hits. I also had great hits on targets further out once I trusted the laser and quit trying to use the flashlight so much.

But then, this is just my opinion. Lot of others will tell you why using one isn't a good idea. Me... I love it.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

Night Sights with a good weapon light works wonders. My limited experience suggests that focusing on the sights at the extremely close distances places the suspect in the danger zone. Problem with laser is it can exhibit some parallax as distance increases but proper sight focus only causes the bullet to strike in the vertical plane of the sights.

Think of it as shot for the nose but knocked out the teeth or shot for the nose and shredded the ear or the object behind.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast