Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default OC in Phila Suburbs

I normally post over in Opencarry.org - but since I'm a PA guy - thought I'd post here.

Yesterday was another uneventful day of OC in the Wayne area. Shopping in Genaurdi's in St. Davids and lunch at Landis Restaurant in Wayne (if you like Corned Beef, their Mr. Jim's special is outstanding), WaWa, CVS, and walking the dog around Wayne.

The cashier in Genaurdi's definitely noticed - did the l- ook at S&W on hip, look at my face, look at S&W, look at my face, took a deep breath but kept on scanning.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: OC in Phila Suburbs

Interesting. I'm in Bucks County. Never OC'd in the Philadelphia burbs. I've only done it while hiking. It's not common around these parts. Keeps us updated on how things go.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Delaware County)

I'll keep you posted...

Sunday uneventful OC in Wawa, Wayne Presbyterian Church (just in the office, not in worship), Commerce Bank in Wayne, CVS in Wayne, Bryn Mawr Hospital parking lot (had to go into the ER - CC'd there)

Ran into a guy checking a shotgun at the airport this morning, He was surprised I could check my pistol in a soft sided suitcase. He has a LTCF from PA and we chatted about reciprocity with other states and checking in a pistol when flying. I mentioned this website as a good source of info as well as handgunlaw.us.

(Allegheny County)

The simple fact is that there are just too many soccer moms who would get scared around here. They are either going to think that you are a cop, or a criminal. There is no in between. So you have in one hand, comfort, and the other, fear. I would rather not bargain the responsibility of getting someone worked up in fear of their children.

Why OC if you can conceal anyway? Is it just simply to prove the point that you can, and keep up with the law?

(Bucks County)

I have generally been of that mind, but my opinion on open carry is starting to change. I think tactically concealed is better, but I'm not as down on open carry as a means of activism as I used to be. It's done some pretty incredible things in Virginia, in terms of getting people involved and motivated, and these days you can open carry in most places in Virginia without ruffling too many feathers. The police now are generally aware OC is legal.

That said, if you're going to start OCing in PA, I would strongly advise doing it with a license. It may be technically legal to OC in Pennsylvania (outside Philadelphia, where a license is required), but it'll just make things go more smoothly if you do run into trouble with the law.

Now, it's a brave man that would OC into Philadelphia with a license. I'd like to hear a report on how exactly that would go. My guess is not well.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Montgomery County)

I would strongly recommend always carrying with a LTCF! I carry open often enough but not every time.. The reason why i suggest it is that it is illegal to open carry while in a vehicle, you never know when you might get stuck in an ambulance or forced to make a choice between riding in a car illegally without a licence. You know the old saying ... happens......

(Montgomery County)

I'll protect and exercise this right now because I now know you won't... No offence implied, you're free to do what you want but because I know you won't I'll do it...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    I'll protect and exercise this right now because I now know you won't... No offence implied, you're free to do what you want but because I know you won't I'll do it...
    I just don't see the purpose that it serves in areas like this. I don't have a problem with people doing so, I just don't see any pluses, or minuses.

Sebastian, it is illegal to open carry in Philadelphia. It is the only city/town in PA that you can NOT open carry.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by itstock View Post
    ..Why OC if you can conceal anyway? Is it just simply to prove the point that you can, and keep up with the law?
    Maybe you should read some other threads. This (benefits/cons of OC) has been hashed out many, many times. Let not repeat it on every OC journal thread that people post.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by itstock View Post
    it is illegal to open carry in Philadelphia..
    Incorrect. The law and the supreme court say clearly state that OC in Phila is legal WITH a LTCF.

Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast