Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Will not open carry around my Father.

Quote Originally Posted by WitsBusa View Post
    well, you can just keep going around smacking and hitting people you think are reaching for your weapon.. venture a guess that isn't going to go too well for you when you are mistaken as to their intent.
    What intent could they possibly have other than to take your gun? I really don't give a shit who it is - my mother, my girlfriend, some random bum on the street or a 6 year old girl. If ANYONE touches my gun while it's holstered, no matter who it is, they're getting a smack of some kind.

I don't give a shit what their 'intent' is - it isn't a toy and it's not theirs. It's a "didn't your mother ever teach you to not to touch things that don't belong to you?" kind of thing.
    Junior

(Montgomery County)

nike.. I wasn't referring to you and wasn't implying that you going around whacking people in your vicinity..

in fact, I'm not implying anyone would do that. I just react to the tendency of people to type that if someone got near their sidearm, they are taking it to a physical level.. and again, I'm limiting my commentary a situation involving a family member or friend.. I'm shocked that people can't address this without it becoming physical.

The other scenario I see is that when you are out and about, people will be near you, and possibly reaching for things near you.. Where my "intent" comment comes in is that I predict that if I reach for something on the grocery store shelf near someone, and they smack me in the head because they incorrectly believe I'm reaching for their sidearm, it isn't going to be a pleasant situation.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    What intent could they possibly have other than to take your gun? I really don't give a shit who it is - my mother, my girlfriend, some random bum on the street or a 6 year old girl. If ANYONE touches my gun while it's holstered, no matter who it is, they're getting a smack of some kind.

I don't give a shit what their 'intent' is - it isn't a toy and it's not theirs. It's a "didn't your mother ever teach you to not to touch things that don't belong to you?" kind of thing.

my use of "intent".. you believe someone is reaching for your weapon, and they are not.. you smack = you could have serious problems.

(Delaware County)

nike.. I wasn't referring to you and wasn't implying that you going around whacking people in your vicinity..

in fact, I'm not implying anyone would do that. I just react to the tendency of people to type that if someone got near their sidearm, they are taking it to a physical level.. and again, I'm limiting my commentary a situation involving a family member or friend.. I'm shocked that people can't address this without it becoming physical.

The other scenario I see is that when you are out and about, people will be near you, and possibly reaching for things near you.. Where my "intent" comment comes in is that I predict that if I reach for something on the grocery store shelf near someone, and they smack me in the head because they incorrectly believe I'm reaching for their sidearm, it isn't going to be a pleasant situation.
    I understand now. However, I believe what we're referring to here is when someone actually touches the gun - my holster is pretty snug so if someone touches the gun, I'll feel my belt move.

At least that's what I'm talking about. I shouldn't speak for others.

ETA: I'm not paranoid enough to worry about someone reaching for something -near- my gun - that's what situational awareness is for.
    Junior

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I understand now. However, I believe what we're referring to here is when someone actually touches the gun - my holster is pretty snug so if someone touches the gun, I'll feel my belt move.

At least that's what I'm talking about. I shouldn't speak for others.

I'm not paranoid enough to worry about someone reaching for something -near- my gun - that's what situational awareness is for.

understood.. and in that scenario, I wouldn't disagree with you.

Interestingly, I guess this conversation hits the reason why I don't want to open carry. That is a lot of responsibility and takes a high level of dedication and focus on being aware of your surroundings that I don't have the energy for anymore..

(Schuylkill County)

My apologies if I took your post the wrong way. But you are correct in saying it should not be resorting to a physical level whenever someone gets near me. The only time I am more defensive is when it happens from behind, and if they are indeed reaching for my gun. If they are in front of me, obviously it's easier to tell them to not do it. But coming from behind, and you feel the hand touching/grabbing the grip on your gun, it becomes a bad situation because you don't know who it is or what their intent is.

And my apologies if I portrayed my opinion misleadingly. What I truly mean is, sure it should not resort to a physical level immediately. If one can see the person, it is a different situation than if someone grabs from behind that you can't see... JMO. But I don't get overly defensive until that hand is for sure grabbing for my gun.
    III%

(Schuylkill County)

Interestingly, I guess this conversation hits the reason why I don't want to open carry. That is a lot of responsibility and takes a high level of dedication and focus on being aware of your surroundings that I don't have the energy for anymore..
    Yea, I normally CC.. A lot less stress for me personally..
    III%

(Philadelphia County)

You need to tell him not to do that anymore for the fact that it makes some people uncomfortable. Unlike the element of surprise argument, he would have to understand the 'making some people uncomfortable' argument. You need to have a man to man convo with Dad.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234