Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Does anyone choose to use FMJ in their hd/carry gun?

Im back to carrying my full size 1911. Some day I might give a short barelled version a try. Anyway, my gun has been 100% (no bs) reliable with the two hundred or so rounds of HP and few thousand rounds of FMJs Ive run through it. I have decided to carry it with FMJs since I have put so many through without an issue. WWB 230gr to be specific. When I was in the Navy I carried a 1911 with two mags with 5 rounds each of FMJ and never felt under gunned. Heck both mags were kept in pouches on the belt, the gun wasnt even loaded. This may have been a good thing considering the miniscule amount of small arms training I had. Does anyone else choose to carry FMJ anymore?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Does anyone choose to use FMJ in their hd/carry gun?

If there isn't any HP in my personal inventory, or available locally I'll carry them. And with my lessor guns like 25acp and 32acp I chose FMJ only.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Im back to carrying my full size 1911. Some day I might give a short barelled version a try. Anyway, my gun has been 100% (no bs) reliable with the two hundred or so rounds of HP and few thousand rounds of FMJs Ive run through it. I have decided to carry it with FMJs since I have put so many through without an issue. WWB 230gr to be specific. When I was in the Navy I carried a 1911 with two mags with 5 rounds each of FMJ and never felt under gunned. Heck both mags were kept in pouches on the belt, the gun wasnt even loaded. This may have been a good thing considering the miniscule amount of small arms training I had. Does anyone else choose to carry FMJ anymore?
    They way I look at it is if there are better options available, why choose a round that won't expand as well and has a greater chance of over-penetration? I understand the reliability issue, but if you haven't actually had any problems with your HPs, I wouldn't consider it a problem.

Only in small caliber guns where expansion either doesn't occur or effects penetration.
    FUCK BIDEN

Over-penetration is a myth. I think you're more likely to have under penetration in a hollow point, or have them not expand due to clothing. I know my 1911 is 100% with FMJ ammo and I don't have the cash to put a couple hundred to a thousand rounds of my favorite self defense ammo through the gun to call it good, so I stick with FMJ's in my 1911 for self defense. I dare anyone to find a case where over-penetration of a handgun bullet killed an innocent bystander. I don't know why people worry about this when most people on hit the target 20-30% of the time in a real gun fight and those bullets aren't going through a bad guy, just off into space.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Dauphin County)

I carry two magazines to hollow points (Golden Sabers) and one magazine of FMJ.
    NRA Life Member. OC is comfy!

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Over-penetration is a myth. I think you're more likely to have under penetration in a hollow point, or have them not expand due to clothing. I know my 1911 is 100% with FMJ ammo and I don't have the cash to put a couple hundred to a thousand rounds of my favorite self defense ammo through the gun to call it good, so I stick with FMJ's in my 1911 for self defense. I dare anyone to find a case where over-penetration of a handgun bullet killed an innocent bystander. I don't know why people worry about this when most people on hit the target 20-30% of the time in a real gun fight and those bullets aren't going through a bad guy, just off into space.
    You're only taking into account over-penetration of the bullet into the bad guy and then into someone else. There is also the worry of a missed round over-penetrating through a wall and hitting an innocent bystander. A 'mushrooming' JHP will slow down more than an FMJ that does not 'mushroom' as well. Why do you say it is a myth?

(Allegheny County)

Only carry the fmj in calibers under .380. Otherwise the bullet will go right through the bad guy and create collateral damage.

(Monroe County)

why were you only carrying 5 rounds / mag for a 1911?

why would you shoot 200 rounds of carry ammo and not feel safe enough to carry it on a daily basis?

why would you take a round that is specifically designed NOT to kill over one designed to kill? FMJ is only around because Hollow points were more lethal and apparently in war you don't want to kill people?

over penetration isn't a myth
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Why are expanding bullets banned by the Geneva Convention?

They do too much damage to the enemy.

Give me my HP's!!!!!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast