Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Thinking of Revolvers (S&W?) Input Wanted

Ok, I have a few Semi-Auto's now... A pair of glocks and a pair of 1911's

I am thinking about a snub-nose S&W. This one grabbed my eye and since I already stock .357 it seems like a winner.

Anyone have feedback on this or other personal picks? Could someone go over the advantages or disadvantages of a double action revolver vs. single? (Please excuse this somewhat stupid question however I would like to be sure I am not overlooking something)

Looking forward to reading your feedbck and input

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Thinking of Revolvers (S&W?) Input Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by svltrack View Post
    Ok, I have a few Semi-Auto's now... A pair of glocks and a pair of 1911's

I am thinking about a snub-nose S&W. This one grabbed my eye and since I already stock .357 it seems like a winner.

Anyone have feedback on this or other personal picks? Could someone go over the advantages or disadvantages of a double action revolver vs. single? (Please excuse this somewhat stupid question however I would like to be sure I am not overlooking something)

Looking forward to reading your feedbck and input
    There might be a few poor souls who take exception to this, but the S&W's are the pinnacle of revolver existence.

A well tuned S&W revolver makes shooting one of the joys of existence, whether you are using a K-22 from the 60's or the one you pictured here.

Double action, as you know, requires a longer pull of the trigger, with more force. It does not need to be done rapidly, in fact, many shooters will "stage" the trigger, pulling it nearly through rapidly, but easing off, just before it "breaks", so that the instant when the sear reases the hammer to fire it, they are exerting minimal effort, thus making for a more steady shot and easier follow through.

Single action can be tuned to an extremely light pull, if that is your thing.

An investment in a S&W revolver will be one you will not regret.

Flash

If you were to come up to Franklin County, I'd offer you the opportunity to shoot a few S&W's, and you would be able to make up your mind on real experience. ThoughI do not have one of those new-fangled ultra-lightweight titanium/unobtanium models.
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

I thought about purchasing either the 340 which you show, or the 360 which is the da/sa version, I decided not to. Many people buy this series revolver for the light 12-13ounce weight, and 357 capability, but find that they don't like the recoil and use 38 special +p ammo. You should try to find, shoot one, and decide first as there is about $300 difference in the 357 and 38 special versions. In the 2 inch barrel guns the 357, 38 special, and 9mm are very close in muzzle velocity. In the short barrel guns the powder doesn't burn up in the barrel leading to lots of flash, and muzzle blast.
    The double action only pistols are designed for self defense at short ranges, and are not easy to be accurate with , without lots of practice. The pistols are as accurate as any, its just harder for the shooter. The sa/da pistols are easier to practice with as you can fire single action by cocking with the hammer, but are harder to conceal as drawing from concealment, can result in the hammer snagging.
    Due to the concerns I stated above, I bought a used S&W model 38, and a used Taurus model 905c. The model 38 is an airweight (aluminum frame) 14 ounce pistol, with a shrouded hammer giving me the ability to fire double action, and still not snag. The Taurus fires the 9mm with moonclips, weighs 22 ounces, and is almost as powerful from the short barrel as the 357.
    With a new 340, or 360 you get a lifetime warranty, which is a plus with S&W, not as big a plus with the Taurus.
    Sorry for the length of this thread, but I had many of the same concerns before I bought. Now for the pictures, and a link to the site with the muzzle velocity information.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/

(Franklin County)

I regularly carry a Model 60 S&W~just love it, though I would sure like to try out the new Ruger LCR..

My first experience with S&W wasn't the best. I brought home on leave from USMC a brand new Model 66 4" with the combat Goncalo Alves stocks. I went shooting with my old school buddy~he had his brother's Ruger Security Six (this was about 1983-4). For whatever reason we got into some hot 125 JHPs and the cases would stick in the cylinder while his would just fall out. I figure it was probably my fault for some reason but soured me Smiths for a while. Never had any sorts of problems out of this snub~~bought it used, .38 though I've fired +P out of it, runs great.
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Lebanon County)

firstly..ummm smith good.

however you may want to rethink getting an air or feather weight. yeah cool as shit when you're holding it..."how can they make a pistol so lite??..."
    they are great if you're going to carry it but not shoot it much. the weight of the gun is a buffer between you and the explosive force.

i was looking at a 329...big gun, little weight. the numbers did not add up making it sure look like a bad time to actually shoot.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    firstly..ummm smith good.

however you may want to rethink getting an air or feather weight. yeah cool as shit when you're holding it..."how can they make a pistol so lite??..."
    they are great if you're going to carry it but not shoot it much. the weight of the gun is a buffer between you and the explosive force.

i was looking at a 329...big gun, little weight. the numbers did not add up making it sure look like a bad time to actually shoot.
    Brain makes some good points. The lighter the gun the more felt recoil there will be.

If you want to shoot 357 look into a smith 686.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

If your want a .357 I would get something heavier.
    When it comes to snubbies I prefer .38's.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Delaware County)

I've got a 360 and I carry it with +P .38's. As stated above, .357 magnum in a gun that light is a handful. To master it requires training that very few are willing to pursue.

But there is nothing wrong with getting the 340 AirLite for the ease of carry and sticking with +P ammo either. Some will say that the difference in weight is not enough to justify the price difference. I'll disagree. The joy of high quality remains long after the thrill of low cost is gone.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The joy of high quality remains long after the thrill of low cost is gone.
    a lifetime is pretty long, and smith is up to it.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

.357 Snubby's tend to sting your hand after a box of ammo. lol. but they do pack a punch. I had one and liked it, but the recoil was rude.
    Last edited by NightRocker; March 14th, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
    3%er "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.." -G. K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast