Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Has anybody used this load ??

Has anybody used this "Centurion " shotgun load, featuring "...1300FPS, 1- .650" buckshot, and 6- 1BK Shot..."?

As featured at : http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...2MD&groupid=17

Would you use it for SD load??

They also have some crazy "Expanidng " steel slug thingie . . . . .http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...228&groupid=17

Thanks,

Flash
    Last edited by Flash; March 13th, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Default Re: Has anybody used this load ??

Stay away from the "crazy "Expanidng " steel slug thingie". Use normal kinds of shot for HD. If you ever have to use it for HD and go to court, NORMAL will keep you out of trouble. A lawyer will make an issue out of something new and say you are out to kill someone. If you use standard Buck, OO, O, 1, 2, 3, or 4, you are just defending youself.

(Allegheny County)

None of the ammo you listed is anything really more crazy than any other kind of shotgun ammunition. The one thing is basically a slug - the other just a mixture of various buck shot. One of which being slightly larger.

We get a lot of paranoia on the internet that needs to be sifted through when it comes to the kinds of weapons and ammunition we use for self defense. The main song remains the same however. You should be FAR more concerned with meeting the legal requirement for using lethal force - and not so much what that lethal force consists of so long as the situation warrants the use of it.

I have the mutli-defense buckshot - but I have never used that type of slug. But I haven't really taken it out and seen how it patterns in my weapon to determine whether I want to use it or not yet. But that was the plan - to use that for HD.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Actually, I was wondering about ballistics on the steel thingie: and what it would do to chokes and barrels. You have the reminders about steel shot, the reminders about "Hevi-shot" and so on.

I can't feature myself ever being desirous of becoming an experimenter that much. I only have a couple of shotguns, and I don't think I'd want to shove that steel thingie down my barrel unless the zombies were upon me, and it were the last round that I could find in the store.

Do the petals only open after contact with the target, or do they open in flight? If they opened inflight, I'd guess that would significantly alter ballistics, wouldn't it?

So - - has anybody ever fired one of them (and would care to admit it)?

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

It says for rifled AND smooth barrels.

Look more closely at it. It has a plastic base for a gas seal and a plastic ridge below the nose of it to ride down the barrel. Like almost all slugs - don't shoot it through anything tighter than an improved cylinder and you should be OK. It looks like that is steel and comes precut to open up on contact. At least that is what it says (on impact).

If you're too scared send'em my way. I'll destroy the fuck out of something with them.

If they are hardened steel slugs I hope a LINE of bad guys invade my house - and come rushing down my hallway single file. You could probably send one of those through a FEW people.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    It says for rifled AND smooth barrels.

Look more closely at it. It has a plastic base for a gas seal and a plastic ridge below the nose of it to ride down the barrel. Like almost all slugs - don't shoot it through anything tighter than an improved cylinder and you should be OK. It looks like that is steel and comes precut to open up on contact. At least that is what it says (on impact).

If you're too scared send'em my way. I'll destroy the fuck out of something with them.

If they are hardened steel slugs I hope a LINE of bad guys invade my house - and come rushing down my hallway single file. You could probably send one of those through a FEW people.
    Would the same apply for the HD Buckshot listed? (I can't research it at work here)

I'd imagine that sob would kick pretty hard too...
    III%

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Would the same apply for the HD Buckshot listed? (I can't research it at work here)

I'd imagine that sob would kick pretty hard too...
    I'm not sure, but consider that you are dealing with a .65 caliber ball - plus wadding and or shot cup depending on how those rounds are configured internally. And the typical bore of a 12 gauge shotgun is .720 minus whatever the choke is.

Typical constriction of an improved cylinder choke is .010
    Modified is .020
    Improved modified is .025
    Full is .035
    And super full .050

That all comes off the bore. .720 - SF (.050) = .670 - .65 caliber ball + cup. I'm not machinist but in an extreme example like that you're really starting to get to a point where there is a a serious physical interaction between the choke and the load trying to pass through it at 1300-1500fps...

I would assume an improved cylinder would be fine.

But would happily excuse myself to someone with more knowledge on this subject's input instead.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I'm not sure, but consider that you are dealing with a .65 caliber ball - plus wadding and or shot cup depending on how those rounds are configured internally. And the typical bore of a 12 gauge shotgun is .720 minus whatever the choke is.

Typical constriction of an improved cylinder choke is .010
    Modified is .020
    Improved modified is .025
    Full is .035
    And super full .050

That all comes off the bore. .720 - SF (.050) = .670 - .65 caliber ball + cup. I'm not machinist but in an extreme example like that you're really starting to get to a point where there is a a serious physical interaction between the choke and the load trying to pass through it at 1300-1500fps...

I would assume an improved cylinder would be fine.

But would happily excuse myself to someone with more knowledge on this subject's input instead.
    Your logic makes perfect sense. I think I may order some, and try them with an IC and see how they pattern.

Thanks!
    III%