Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gander Mountain

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Gander Mountain

As a rule I go to Gander to fondle firearms and get a good look at a wide selection. Then I go to one of the privately owned shops to get what I want.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Quigar57 View Post
    As a rule I go to Gander to fondle firearms and get a good look at a wide selection. Then I go to one of the privately owned shops to get what I want.
    Yup, unless you can get them to price match another place you can be guaranteed to pay at least $100 MORE than you would at your typical shop..and how about this..I really needed some 5.45X39 ammo for my AK...I just got it and have not been able to shoot it yet because the ammo I bought separately has not arrived...I know I saw it down there so I called and asked for the price...it was Silver Bear and was $14.99 for a box of 30 I can get 120 rounds for $24 at a place ,like ammo to go or at various places for $6.95 a 30 round box..I mean even if you include shipping its surely STILL better than $14 a box

the only thing ive bought there that have been reasonable are .22 rifles and pistols(about the same as id seen elsewhere after you add shipping) and every now and then you DO see something used thats a decent deal...but new..NEVER
    Last edited by CBennett; May 31st, 2010 at 12:26 AM.

(York County)

I occasionally go there to handle guns I'm interested in, but I haven't been there in a while because it's too hard to keep myself from laughing at some of the stuff the gun counter guys tell customers. The last time I was there a guy was buying a 9mm handgun and asked about ammo, the employee told him they had 50 round boxes of WWB for $20 which was "a great price, probably the best you'll find", this was when walmart had the same ammo for $11.50. When I left the employee was trying to talk him into an expensive green laser to go with the overpriced gun.

(Lancaster County)

I've been to a few GM stores, and always find their prices to be insane. I found a minty CZ82 at the Harrisburg store a few years ago for a good price though. You can find some deals if you're patient...

(Perry County)

Was at the Harrisburg Gander mountain this past weekend. They had Ruger LCRs for $549.99. I checked 2 local gun shops and both could get them for $380 or $390.

Gander is grossly overpriced. My uncle says he's gotten some deals there but I never see anything when I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    Was at the Harrisburg Gander mountain this past weekend. They had Ruger LCRs for $549.99. I checked 2 local gun shops and both could get them for $380 or $390.

Gander is grossly overpriced. My uncle says he's gotten some deals there but I never see anything when I'm there.
    yep sounds about right for GM, i only go to handle the long guns because their not behind the counter

(Schuylkill County)

I'm naturally prejudiced against places like this when we have several good shops nearby (and closer for us).

(Adams County)

I have no issue with Gander in Dickson City at all, and have purchased 3 firearms from them. A brand new Beretta, which was $50 LOWER than anyone else (even online); a slightly used Bersa Thunder for $160 or so; and a brand new Bushmaster AR15 carbine for $100 below MSRP--and cheaper than I could find elsewhere.

No doubt there are better deals to be had if you spend hours/weeks/days hunting around, but like anywhere you have to know what you're looking for and have an idea as to what it goes for elsewhere.

I would never buy ammo there, unless I was completely desperate.

Gander Mountain will get my business again, of this I'm certain. I try to avoid impulse purchases on firearms (the Bersa was one, and I had seen used ones at other shops for 60+ more in worse condition) as I want to make sure I know what I'm getting ahead of time, and what is/isn't reasonable to pay.

I thought the staff courteous and knowledgable, and when I go I do so in the middle of the day on a day off to avoid the weekend crowds.

But your mileage may vary, of course.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Carbon County)

I stopped in the other day to kill some time,, had to take a lunch(working and a good place to clock out for 30 minutes) and was astounded at the $ on some used guns.. They had a colt "new agent" 45 for within $25-35 of list on new.. and it was well worn finish wise.. In fact the 45's in the special display case were all very high priced.. Some of the other used guns were very good deals.. odd.. like the person setting the prices doesn't have a clue.. And the counter girl was very rude,, looked like she was having a hard time filling out the forms for a buyer.. must not of had enough training with the forms. She was telling people if they wanted to see any guns to come back in 45-60 minutes cause she had forms to fill out..

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    I stopped in the other day to kill some time,, had to take a lunch(working and a good place to clock out for 30 minutes) and was astounded at the $ on some used guns.. They had a colt "new agent" 45 for within $25-35 of list on new.. and it was well worn finish wise.. In fact the 45's in the special display case were all very high priced.. Some of the other used guns were very good deals.. odd.. like the person setting the prices doesn't have a clue.. And the counter girl was very rude,, looked like she was having a hard time filling out the forms for a buyer.. must not of had enough training with the forms. She was telling people if they wanted to see any guns to come back in 45-60 minutes cause she had forms to fill out..
    if you want to know about a certain gun and you ask them most of the time they have to look in that huge book thing, its time consuming and and half the time they still cant figure it out. O well i stick with my 2 shops, StoneyBrook Shooting Supplies in East York and my new favorite because of awesome prices Precision Armory in Shrewsberry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12