Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ordering online, ie: Gunbroker etc...

Has anyone ever ordered a gun through an online site like gunbroker.com? How did the FFL you had it sent to respond? Did they treat it as an inconvenience and circumvention, or were they pleased to do the transfer?

Thanks!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Ordering online, ie: Gunbroker etc...

Depends on the dealer.
    Some welcome the opportunity to "get you in the door" so you can see what they offer.... others think the internet killed their biz and charge outlandish transfer fees to discourage you from the practice (well in the end it only discourages you from dealing with THEM, but I digress)

The FFL I use for receiving guns ordered online seems to love the business. GUNRUNNERSOFPA on this site. Some of the other more local to me dealers didn't seem too receptive of the idea of my buying a gun elsewhere and transferring it through them when I could just pay more for the one they could order me. You just have to ask around to find out.

(Mercer County)

I have no problems with my dealer--he has not only taken care of internet purchases and if I am out of state and see something that I want all it takes is a phone call and faxes his FFL copy to shop.

This is why I have been him since the early '60s.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Bucks County)

Going through the process right now of buying a shotgun from Red's Trading Post in Idaho. Ryan, the guy who runs it, is currently undergoing the ATF anal probing as they look for reasons to convince the court to revoke his license for "willfull" violations like people not answering "Yes" instead of "Y" on 4473, or not filing things in alphabetical order, even though the last ATF guy said to do something different.

Using the local FFL Pistol People Inc, located in Bensalem, PA. Basically most FFLs will do a transfer for you for something like 30 dollars. PP charges 31.50. You local FFL will do the form 4473 and background check for you, and file you through as if you had bought the gun from him. But you buy the gun from the other guy, and he's just using his FFL to make it all legal.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

Just bought a pistol through GunBroker. I talked with a local FFL beforehand. He had no problems performing the transfer service. Gunbroker has a listing of FFL's that are willing to do the transfers. As for Gunbroker itself, caveat emptor. It is like Ebay, it depends upon the seller. Check their feedback ratings, check their own website if it is listed and very carefully examine the item description.

So far I have used Gunbroker, ammunitiontogo.com, midwayusa.com (mostly for parts and ammo) with no problems.

I've used GunsAmerica and Gunbroker, I've also bought and sold through sites like this, choose your FFL doing the transfer wisely, some are more cool about it than others. Thus far I haven't had a problem.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Centre County)

I'm a gun repair business that will special order guns for people and I routinely do transfers for PaFOA members here in central PA. I don't have any problem doing the transfers. I feel that doing them is a service and the people using my service will remember that I helped them out and that leads to good word of mouth and maybe some more business. My business is not what pays the bills yet (I'm still pretty small) but I can see the other side of the coin. If the gun shop depends on gun sales to pay the bills, I can see why they are hesitant or charge higher fees. They have bills to pay.

There is one thing that I tell my customers. If I didn't sell it to you, please do not expect me to help you out for free if something goes wrong with the gun. If something is wrong and covered under warranty I will help you get it sent back to the manufacturer or the gun store you bought it from but I will have to charge you for this service. If your not real happy with the trigger pull and you bring it to me for adjustment, I will have to charge you for the work. If you had bought it from me I probably would fix the trigger for free or ship it for just the shipping costs because I sold it to you and made some profit from the sale. I hope people understand this.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I hope people understand this.
    It's pretty hard not to. It's more than reasonable.

My experiences with buying online just started a week and a half ago. I bought 2 guns from budsgunshop online. Being that it's my first time, I may not fully understand how it usually works but if I had to do it over again, I would buy locally. Between shipping and receiving costs, it's just not worth waiting 2 weeks and not being able to fondle the goods locally. To do it over, I would gladly pay a few extra dollars and tax to get something the same day rather than wait. With the shipping and receiving costs, it cancels out the overhead costs and taxes of a local shop.

Not to mention how much USPS' Tracking System sucks.

/I use Gunrunnersofpa as my FFL. A terrific service in SWPA.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(York County)

I've ordered a few things from GunBroker and GunsAmerica, as well as off various forums. NEVER buy something without carefully checking the feedback or checking with someone that's purchased from them.

My local FFLs (Hake's Sporting Goods in Wrightsville) and Backwoods Outfitters (Columbia, PA) are real good about doing transfers for me. Hake's is cheaper than Backwoods by 8 bucks. I've bought a couple of new items from Hake's, and they've always been great.

I don't feel bad about getting a good deal over the 'net, since my local guys can't be expected to stock every model of gun under the sun. I buy supplies and new ones from them when I can, and let them know what I'm looking for if it's a used gun and to call me if they find one.

Like another user said, using the 'Net auction/classified sites is like using eBay - just watch who you deal with!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast