Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default KCI mags for G19

Just picked up some new mags tonight. Anyone have any experience with KCI's Glock copies? For $10 a piece it was tough to pass up. They didn't feel as nice loading as the real Glock mags, but maybe just need some breaking in. Can they be trusted?
    Last edited by richrock; March 12th, 2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: sorry, KCI...not KPI as originally posted

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: KCI mags for G19

Quote Originally Posted by richrock View Post
    Can they be trusted?
    At the range?... Yes.

With your life?... Lets just say your life is worth more than the $10 you saved.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    At the range?... Yes.

With your life?... Lets just say your life is worth more than the $10 you saved.
    That's pretty much my thoughts on them also. Without knowing whether they are reliable, I'll stick with OEM's for anything other than the range. Unless someone can prove they are just as reliable as a real Glock mag...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by richrock View Post
    Just picked up some new mags tonight. Anyone have any experience with KCI's Glock copies? For $10 a piece it was tough to pass up. They didn't feel as nice loading as the real Glock mags, but maybe just need some breaking in. Can they be trusted?
    I have 2 different kinds of Korean magazines sitting here - one has no markings, and the other has "33rd" baseplate. Both work. Neither work fabulously. However, the trick is the molding seams inside the magazine. Where the two pieces of steel liner join inside the magazine there is usually some flashing that has seeped into the tube where the follower rides. This causes it to stick and tilt causing binds and feeding issues. So here is what you do.

Go pop the baseplate off and look for those obstructions. You might be able to knock them out with a long flathead screwdriver. But the easier way is to get a razor blade (like an angled one from a razor knife) and duct tape it to the flat head screwdriver tip. Then just use that to cut any obstruction OUT and FLUSH with the body of the magazine. This gets rid of it in a way that will ensure a smooth follower ride throughout the magazine tube.

They do not "break in". There is SHIT in the way of the follower. You need to remove it or they will always hang up periodically both loading and feeding.

There is also something to be said about the spring. It's not exactly Glock specifications either. BUT - if you can clean out the magazine tube and throw a $10 OEM spring in it. You can still end up with a magazine that functions like a Glock one and still save $10 per mag. Or you can just buy G18 mags and not fool with any of it.

With the low cost comes 'work'... make them or spend the money.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    At the range?... Yes.

That would be nearly $30 a magazine saved. G18 mags are not $20. They are not typically $29. They are usually closer to $40. If you know where they are $20 please share so I can buy 5 of them right now.

(Cambria County)

i bought 3 kci mags for my g17 and i had to do what the others said tear them down and sanded the extra plastic down with 80 grit and a wooded dile rod, then i went over with 220 grit for a few mins then i polished with some mothers and oiled, to be honest i never had a malfuction at the range after that but sometimes when loading they would seize and all the bullets could just dump right out... like others said good for range not for protection.