Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default rebuilding rifles and stock work

I am a new member to this forum and I am wondering if someone out there can point me in the right direction. Currently I am working on a Mauser 93 that used to be a 7x57, now it is a .243. It was a surplus rifle from years ago and it had a new stock blank with it. Well I am doing all the inletting, sanding, finishing, bluing, adding a scope, etc. Sporterizing I guess. Now this is something I enjoy doing, but how do I continue finding guns like this.

I know there are places like Samco Global where you can buy barreled actions of surplus rifles. But, I would like to find some model 700's or something like that. Rifles that have a damaged stock, but decent actions. Basically a rifle in need of a new stock and some TLC.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, any help is appreciated.

Default Re: rebuilding rifles and stock work

Quote Originally Posted by airviper08 View Post
    I am a new member to this forum and I am wondering if someone out there can point me in the right direction. Currently I am working on a Mauser 93 that used to be a 7x57, now it is a .243. It was a surplus rifle from years ago and it had a new stock blank with it. Well I am doing all the inletting, sanding, finishing, bluing, adding a scope, etc. Sporterizing I guess. Now this is something I enjoy doing, but how do I continue finding guns like this.

I know there are places like Samco Global where you can buy barreled actions of surplus rifles. But, I would like to find some model 700's or something like that. Rifles that have a damaged stock, but decent actions. Basically a rifle in need of a new stock and some TLC.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, any help is appreciated.
    I have six words: Pawn shops,Pawn shops, Pawn shops.
    They get a lot of "sporterized" rifles. Old military stuff. Most of them though are rifles that have had the stocks cut off and redone somewhat. Very rarely will you find one that has be re-barreled.
    The good news is though, Brownells and Numrich arms sell cleady contoured and short chambered barrels for most military riffle, the most common being the Mausers, model 93, 95, and 98 both large and small ring 98's.
    Smiths will usually change these barrells at a reasonable price, as there is no contouring to be done, which is where the BIG bucks are charged.
    Pawn shops usually buy items for 50% or less of what they try to sell them for, and right now, "sporterized" peices can be bought for less than a full military rifle, that has all it's original pieces intact.
    Look in every pawn shop you pass, and be ready to negotiate.
    Have fun, and have fun "fixing" what you find.

Default Re: rebuilding rifles and stock work

Bama man is right, BUT since PA is SILLY and you cant buy a firearm at a pawn shop it wont work too well in PA. yard sales and garage sales. they may not have them out but it NEVER hurts to ask. also ask a local smith. lots of times he will have some "junk" in his eyes to offload cheap.
    This Space For Rent