Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Kaos' Kydex...crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Except it wouldn't be exactly like a belt clip one because it would be sunken completely into the rear pocket. I'm not looking for them to protrude or be visible. I just wanted a way to protect the top round from maybe getting moved around, and block lint / dirt etc from getting in the mags. Plus hold them vertical. If it stayed put that would be bonus. As it stands most of my casual jeans are about 3 mags wide and will hold a G17 magazine without showing what it is except for the outline. Which means there is a little material above the mag that still kinda conceals the baseplates so you can't tell what it is.

Honestly with enough kydex to span the width of the pocket and minimal retention on the magazines, you might just be able to put some stick on rubber pads or something on the carrier to keep it in the pocket? If the addition of a belt clip higher than the carrier was too difficult or annoying to do?

Best I could come up with in paint.

But it doesn't have to be like that. It could be anything that does the same thing.

I'm still in for the standard kind if you want to part with one or meet up at some point as well.

It wouldn't need that much retention really, it just needs to keep the mags upright and spaced properly. I've been thinking of this a bit and unless you want to risk sitting on your mags I might skip this design. Glock mags could take it, byt why risk damaging a spare mag that just might save your life?

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    you would be sitting on your mags? that wouldn't be overly comfy

(Allegheny County)

Yeah I guess being a skinny guy in baggier pants has it's advantages then. Even the top of a G17 magazine is more than halfway below my ass cheek. This puts it more under my thigh and things have a tendency to move to the <--- ---> sides of my pockets when I sit down. So if I don't plop like a fat ass - I'm cool. No more discomfort than a wallet.

That does beg the question of keeping it locked in place in the pocket though. If it can't slide over a little it might not be so "ok". Maybe just a dual mag pouch with no clip then, real close side by side? Then it could go in a front pocket / coat pocket etc just as easily not being spaced for a wide rear pocket.

Oh no... more paint. Gah... I suck.

That would make it the exact same as the original belt clip kind just with or without a belt clip.

Haven't had time to get to kydex lately with buying a home...finding out I have chronic migraines and extra hours at work, but I need some good concealment for this weekend...so I figured I'd try my hand.

I don't really have the retention/fit quite right (the leather is too flexible but it was all I could find on my lunchbreak in monroeville.)

So I'm going to do another one of these with some much stiffer leather, but this works and is REALLLLY comfortable. Wore it out for about 3 hours tonight.

And I was able to personalize it by heating some metal stamps up:

Last edited by Kaos; March 26th, 2010 at 01:16 AM.

Thanks to lucas I've got a source of some better leather, so I should be able to make a revision 2 that's much nicer

Haven't gotten out to get the nicer leather yet, but I used the scrap from the piece above...and a tiny bit of kydex to make a little "friend" for the IWB holster.

Asmodeus, I've got one of my original glock 9mm designs that isn't exactly a looker from when I was first testing around with kydex if you're still interested. I don't have any belt clip on it, but that could be fixed depending. PM me with your schedule...we can meet up sometime this week.

Anyone else have any ideas of things to try, for fun?

I'm heading out to the leather store this week to make some stuff for fun.

With my possible medical condition I can't do anything strenuous until they've figured it out, so kydex/leatherworking has been fun in the meantime.

(Allegheny County)

I like the expandability of the RCS design. My next plan is a mag pouch with detachable flashlight pouch on the front. Hard to describe but will look something like this:

I'll keep you posted if it turns out.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    I did something similar for a front pocket. This was for a friend's 1911 but I made one for my Kahr and use it all the time.

I'm not going to pollute his thread with the other stuff, but pocket pouches are easy, I'm sure he could whip you up what you are looking for.
    IS THAT A MAG IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPY TO SEE ME??? haha

ok so i just realized that you guys re going to kill the kydex market soon.... i was going throught the thread and already noticed a difference in quality rom the first post to the most recent ones.... i would deffinetly look into buynig from a fello poofa'er..... i was wondering.... with the creation process... what temp dows the kydex nbeed to be heated to?? would you be able to use a vacumm sealer to form the kydex around the pistol for retention that way??

maybe this up next???
    http://www.paracordsecrets.com/products/16/product.html
    Last edited by Bigrepp61; April 2nd, 2010 at 10:11 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrepp61 View Post
    IS THAT A MAG IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPY TO SEE ME??? haha

ok so i just realized that you guys re going to kill the kydex market soon.... i was going throught the thread and already noticed a difference in quality rom the first post to the most recent ones.... i would deffinetly look into buynig from a fello poofa'er..... i was wondering.... with the creation process... what temp dows the kydex nbeed to be heated to?? would you be able to use a vacumm sealer to form the kydex around the pistol for retention that way??

maybe this up next???
    http://www.paracordsecrets.com/products/16/product.html
    Usually heated to the 300 range. The hotter it is the more definition you will get (at the risk of melting it or getting shiny spots)

However, the more I make the less detail I like. While it looks really cool it takes a lot longer to losen everything up and get a smooth draw. You can either do it before pressing by prepping the gun, or after pressing by spot heating and adjusting but it does take time.

Vacuum sealer may work but I don't know what temp the bags can take.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast