Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default FYI - Actual open carry incident report.

Two weeks ago I was doing a carbine course in Pittsburgh. With me was Giles Stock, who was doing a simultaneous pistol course. Giles, my wife and I stopped for pizza the evening of day 3. After dinner, I stopped at a CITGO convenince store to gas up the truck. I was wearing a pistol.

Giles and my wife both picked up two city policemen looking at me hard, and having an animated conversation. They gave me a heads up, just before the officers split up, with one coming up on me from in front while the other approached from behind.

The conversation went as follows, as I pumped gas (dog tired):

Ofcr.: Hi there. Are you wearing a gun?

Me: Yessir.

Ofcr.: Who are you with?

Me: With? Oh . . . no. We were out at Pitcarin-Monroeville today doing a course.

Ofcr.: Oh. O.K. What kind of course?

Thereupon we had a conversation about the F.I.R.E. Institute, our courses, what kind of training he personally does to stay sharp. Then they went about thier business. Elapsed time probably three minutes, including the chit-chat. (I was still pumping the gas when they left.) They were friendly and polite, and we were friendly and polite. Not a problem.

This is the first time in about 10 years any policeman has asked me about me wearing a gun. Usually they don't bat an eye (except the young ones, who sometimes look puzzled.) They explained they were on the lookout for some "impersonators" who had been in the area in recent weeks.

I did not resent the questions at all. They were doing their job, and they did it with professional demeanor.

Just a real-life "data point" for those who believe open carry will result in one being gunned down on sight, or soccer-moms running screaming into the night. It just isn't so.
    Last edited by PeteG; September 7th, 2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: I never get it right the first time.

Default Re: FYI - Actual open carry incident report.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
    Two weeks ago I was doing a carbine course in Pittsburgh. With me was Giles Stock, who was doing a simultaneous pistol course. Giles, my wife and I stopped for pizza the evening of day 3. After dinner, I stopped at a CITGO convenince store to gas up the truck. I was wearing a pistol.

Giles and my wife both picked up two city policemen looking at me hard, and having an animated conversation. They gave me a heads up, just before the officers split up, with one coming up on me from in front while the other approached from behind.

Me: With? Oh . . . no. We were out at Pitcarin-Monroeville today doing a course.

Thereupon we had a conversation about the F.I.R.E. Institute, our courses, what kind of training he personally does to stay sharp. Then they went about thier business. They were friendly and polite, and we were friendly and polite. Not a problem.

This is the first time in about 10 years any policeman has asked me about me wearing a gun. Usually they don't bat an eye (except the young ones, who sometimes look puzzled.) They explained they were on the lookout for some "impersonators" who had been in the area in recent weeks.

I did not resent the questions at all. They were doing their job, and they did it with professional demeanor.

Just a real-life "data point" for those who believe open carry will result in one being gunned down on sight, or soccer-moms running screaming into the night. It just isn't so.

thats a good story to hear, thanks for posting it... was this Pittsburgh Police?

(Venango County)

I wouldn't have made the connection that fast, I probably would have said "I'm with my wife, and friend here, why?"

Glad to hear the good experience, every one I hear brings me a bit closer to doing it

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Allegheny County)

Pete,

Cool story. I'm glad it was an uneventful one. Just one thing I need to ask....CITGO? You are kidding right?
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    Pete,

Cool story. I'm glad it was an uneventful one. Just one thing I need to ask....CITGO? You are kidding right?
    hey Venezuela loves us gropa, just ask the commercial...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    hey Venezuela loves us gropa, just ask the commercial...
    not a chance in h*ll... unless I was about to run dry and didn't think there was another station within reach.

That wouldn't happen anyhow, as I don't let it get less than a 1/4 tank anyhow, besides... diesel engines don't like being starved.. real pain in the butt to bring 'em back online.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you for the story. I keep wanting to OC but have been worried about the LEO factor.
    I have an sp101 as its the most compact 357 that anyone actually uses to shoot a 357 but carrying it concealed all the time can be a pain in places I don't usually talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post

Thereupon we had a conversation about the F.I.R.E. Institute, our courses, what kind of training he personally does to stay sharp. Then they went about thier business. Elapsed time probably three minutes, including the chit-chat. (I was still pumping the gas when they left.) They were friendly and polite, and we were friendly and polite. Not a problem.

Pleased to hear such a good story about OC.
    I really like the part where everyone was courteous and professional thruout the encounter. You made us all look good, and they made themselves look good to us all. Very positive!
    mrwildroot
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(Westmoreland County)

Thank you!

If you don't mind, which Citgo? I am in the PGH area and very close to one of their stations. Just curious is all.

Although uneventful, I *very much* appreciate your sharing. In fact, I much prefer reading about a non-situation locally than about a situation in another county/state. I certainly don't mean to devalue other stories but being in Allegheny, this strikes close to home. I'm, *always* interested in how the LEO re-act as that's my primary concern (and I don't think I am alone on that).

Anyways, +1 for sharing and thank you.

/I blame typo's on being trashed!
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    thats a good story to hear, thanks for posting it... was this Pittsburgh Police?
    Yes. I was up in Greenfield.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast