Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Do I need to have my rifle's headspace checked?

I've got a stevens 200 in .22-250, I'm getting slight case bulge as you can see below. This is off the shelf winchester white box ammo. Is this caused by headspacing or something else? I'd like to start reloading would these cases be bad to use, I'd like to get a full length die set.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Do I need to have my rifle's headspace checked?

Is this caused by headspacing or something else?
    Pretty standard case expansion if you ask me. The brass is "fire formed" to fit your chamber now. If this is the only gun you have with this caliber you won't have to full length resize your brass. You only need to neck size it since it is going to be used in the same gun/same chamber. Also by being able to skip the full length resizing step your brass should last longer for more reloads.

Just keep an eye on the brass length, they may need to be trimmed from time to time.

Great quality pictures by the way!
    Last edited by 762xIan; March 11th, 2010 at 07:57 PM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Pretty standard case expansion if you ask me. The brass is "fire formed" to fit your chamber now. If this is the only gun you have with this caliber you won't have to full length resize your brass. You only need to neck size it since it is going to be used in the same gun/same chamber. Also by being able to skip the full length resizing step your brass should last longer for more reloads.

Just keep an eye on the brass length, they may need to be trimmed from time to time.

Great quality pictures by the way!
    Ok thanks, I do worry too much some times! And yes only one gun in this chambering.

(Centre County)

Yes, that is completely normal to see that on rifle cases. You have to also remember that down towards the case head, the brass in that area (the web)gets thicker to help keep the case from rupturing.

As said, if that brass is only going to be used in that gun, ll you have to do when reloading is to size the neck area, no need in stressing the whole case if it doesn't need it. If you were going to shoot your reloads in several different guns, then you would want to full length resize it to insure it chambers in all the guns it be fired from.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

I'm the only one in the fam to shoot the .22-250 so no one else will be stealing my ammo so I'm good to go! Thanks fellas.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtsgsxr6 View Post
    I'm the only one in the fam to shoot the .22-250 so no one else will be stealing my ammo so I'm good to go! Thanks fellas.
    I like your reasoning there.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Berks County)

Seems very normal, just watch your length. Sometimes if you have real deformation you can increase in length dramaticaly. Happy shooting. Groundhogs are fat aproaching. I got one already.

(York County)

yes whistle pig whacking season is upon us.

Quote Originally Posted by jtsgsxr6 View Post
    I've got a stevens 200 in .22-250, I'm getting slight case bulge as you can see below. This is off the shelf winchester white box ammo. Is this caused by headspacing or something else? I'd like to start reloading would these cases be bad to use, I'd like to get a full length die set.

It must just be me but............................
    Looking at the fired cartridge, since they are close to being the same in scale,
    ther are two things i notice; 1. The bulge at the base and 2. To me it appears that the shoulder on the fired case is now bigger than the unfired case.
    Do you have a dial calliper? If so, measure the shoulders of unfired and fired and see if there is a difference.
    My first clance says there is. If the fired shoulder is larger, and the neck shorter, then, the case is backing up during firing and you get the base bulge AND the larger shoulder.
    A quick check will be to put a piece of masking tape on the base of an unfired
    factory cartridge, cleaning off any overlapping tape, and see if the bolt closes easy (don't force it). If it still closes, your headspace is off about .003 in., and it needs fixin'. Otherwise, you'll eventually split your cases at the base after a few reloads.
    Also, out of curiosity, measure the bulge diameter and also the original base diameter, and see if they are the same.
    I am aware that the case sticks out of the chamber some when it's chambered, but the bulge seems a tad inordinate to me.
    Usually the portion of the case sticking out is just the webbing area, which doesn't bulge.
    I'm probably wrong (and I hope I am), but it looks to me like the case is backing up when fired, which means headspace.
    I'd get it looked at myself, or at least try the tape test.

(York County)

I'll bust out the caliper tomorrow and get back with some measurements. I did notice there is clearly less of a radius at the start of the shoulder on the fired case. I would have it at the smith yesterday, just to be safe, if he didn't take so darn long. Hard to find someone I trust that doesn't take forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast