Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Optics reticle question

Hey guys,
    Just bought my first sight for my AR (Bushnell tactical elite 1x32....I know..ACOG wannabe...I'm poor).
    I was wondering:
    My up/down adjustment has an "UP" written on it with an arrow going a certain direction, but i found that i have to turn it the opposite direction for the reticle to actually go up. Same for the L/R, there is a "L" with an arrow going a certain direction, but I have to turn it the opposite to go Left. Is this normal?

Also, I've found that my front sight on the AR is in the way of the reticle. Is it possible to take out just the post on the front sight?

Thanks guys,
    C1

The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living
    with power to endanger the public liberty. -John Adams

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Optics reticle question

The markings indicate the direction that the shot moves which is the opposite of the reticle motion.

Think of it this way, if the reticle is moved Down, you move the gun and sight Up to realign with the desired POI and the shot also goes Up from the last POI.

Sounds like a flip-up is in your future if the fixed post bothers you.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Bucks County)

Thanks JD. That makes sense.
    BTW I figured out how to take out the front sight post. I think you're right, I'll have to start looking at flip front sights.

There are lots of people that really like to have the post up, it's called "co witnessing" your sights. So that you can see the front post on target, or the dot, and if the dot messes up, you can still use your sights. Some people don't like it, but there are plenty of people, professionals included that prefer to co witness their sights. You mean similar to this?

(Bucks County)

My reticle was actually halfway down the post, but I think that's a good idea. I can just bring the reticle up to the top edge of the post (which is probably where zero is anyways). Good idea, thanks!

c1

(Philadelphia County)

Quickest way to sight in is to bench or hold the rifle in place as best you can and move the reticle using the 2 adjustment controls to match up with the bullet hole, ignoring the "L" and "Up" markings completely.

As for the front sight, if you can see the front sight and it bothers you, you may not be using the reticle correctly. Make sure you have both of your eyes opened, focusing on the projected reticle and the target. Your front sight should be nearly blurred out of the sight picture altogether. At least this is how I do it.

Also, I wouldn't remove the front sight post. If it really bothers you, replace the front sight with a folding front sight. It's called a back up sight for a good reason: battery will always run out, iron takes millions of years to rust away.

Al
    Last edited by mythaeus; March 11th, 2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: FS, not FSP

(Bucks County)

Thanks Al!
    I'll make sure to try that.

Quote Originally Posted by condition1 View Post
    Thanks JD. That makes sense.
    BTW I figured out how to take out the front sight post. I think you're right, I'll have to start looking at flip front sights.
    Just make sure how the new front sight is mounted. I changed out the entire gas block to add my front and rear sights, fairly easy job
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Quote Originally Posted by condition1 View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just bought my first sight for my AR (Bushnell tactical elite 1x32....I know..ACOG wannabe...I'm poor).
    I was wondering:
    My up/down adjustment has an "UP" written on it with an arrow going a certain direction, but i found that i have to turn it the opposite direction for the reticle to actually go up. Same for the L/R, there is a "L" with an arrow going a certain direction, but I have to turn it the opposite to go Left. Is this normal?

Also, I've found that my front sight on the AR is in the way of the reticle. Is it possible to take out just the post on the front sight?

Thanks guys,
    C1

I got the same one right before christmas when amazon had them for $75 shipped. Its a good little red dot for the money and since my rifle isnt a battle gun, just a range and field plinker, it's works great. Although i am saving for an aimpoint ML3. Make sure you go to walmart and pick up extra batteries tho. I took it out the other day and my friend was looking at it and i guess I wasn't paying attention and put it in the safe without turning it off. I am glad they are only around $2 a battery lol