Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default New guy from mechanicsburg

New to this forum and from Mechanicsburg. I accidentally found this site while looking for something else and was pleased to see a dedicated pa site. If anyone has some good ranges in Cumberland County area to go to please let me know since i have yet to find a place to shoot around here since i moved down from Perry County a year ago.

(Westmoreland County)

Welcome to the forum

(Cumberland County)

Smile

Welcome, jcs! I'm glad to see another member from Cumberland County! I'm sure you'll find this site very informative and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jcs1857 View Post
    New to this forum and from Mechanicsburg. I accidentally found this site while looking for something else and was pleased to see a dedicated pa site. If anyone has some good ranges in Cumberland County area to go to please let me know since i have yet to find a place to shoot around here since i moved down from Perry County a year ago.
    There is a good gun club in Mechanicsburg...my friend belongs to it...the forget the name of the gun club...but it has an indoor range and you can shoot there 24/7...so look into it. The public range in Carlisle Springs I believe has been closed...only people with valid hunting licenses can shoot there now...I believe.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    The public range in Carlisle Springs I believe has been closed...only people with valid hunting licenses can shoot there now...I believe.
    Not true Aubie. The Public range is open. I only live about 2 miles from it and spend several hours a week there.

Quote Originally Posted by klpolk3 View Post
    Not true Aubie. The Public range is open. I only live about 2 miles from it and spend several hours a week there.
    It's open, but the game commission is limiting who is allowed to shoot there...my friend is a police officer for Harrisburg...and he would go to the public range for the 300 yard range...and he said that the last time he was there...there was a game warden that was stationed at the range.

The public range at Frenck Creek will start doing the same thing next season. They will only allow those with current hunting license use the range...I really cannot blame the PGC for this move...because I see too many wannabe's shooting up the wooden post...and the people who pay for hunting licenses are the ones that are paying to replace the damanged posts.

The PGC might not be enforcing it that much now, but you can bet they will be...PGC is always looking to find new ways to increase their revenue.

(York County)

i belong to the WSSA (west shore sportsman association). a good range and the cost is very affordable. its just south of the turnpike off RT.114.

here is a link to their web site. the calender needs updated because it still shows last year.
    Last edited by Lee-online; October 6th, 2006 at 05:09 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    It's open, but the game commission is limiting who is allowed to shoot there...my friend is a police officer for Harrisburg...and he would go to the public range for the 300 yard range...and he said that the last time he was there...there was a game warden that was stationed at the range.
    Are you sure? Even though the rifle and pistol range are side by side, they are actually two separate ranges with two different entrances. It's funny, I talk to game wardens all the time and they've never asked me to produce a hunting license at the pistol range. Maybe it's because everytime I see a warden, I'm cleaning up all the crap that other people have left behind, such as, broken glass, clays(yes, I'm talking about the pistol range), targets that have been left laying on the ground, shot up plastic bottles, etc.
    I can understand why they would start enforcing that rule, though. So many people have been abusing the pistol range. Earlier this week, someone completely destroyed one of the posts and pulled down the tarp that was hanging. To be honest, it really pissed me off!
    Some may think I'm a tattletale, but I WILL copy license plate numbers if I see someone abusing the facilities.
    But thanks for the info, Aubie! I'm going to check it out next time I see a game warden.
    Last edited by klpolk3; October 6th, 2006 at 06:31 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
    i belong to the WSSA (west shore sportsman association). a good range and the cost is very affordable. its just south of the turnpike off RT.114.

here is a link to their web site. the calender needs updated because it still shows last year.
    Thanks Lee! I'm taking a basic pistol course there in November.

(Perry County)

Default Re: New guy from mechanicsburg

Welcome jcs! I'm also in Cumberland County...Enola to be exact. I've been a member here for almost 2 months and it is a GREAT group of people. I just renewed my carry permit a few weeks ago and just bought a Taurus model 85 .38 as a carry gun. I'm hoping to get it out to the range maybe next weekend...been sick for about a week.

Did I see somewhere that the range at the state game lands on 944/34 is no longer available? Anyone?

Dave G.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast