Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Pocono Mountain job cuts

I blame the Union for this, without a doubt. but the union is "in theory" supposed to listen to the teachers and the teachers refused to not get a raise as well.

Teachers don't get a "bonus" because they don't need one. A teachers bonus is 3 months off in the summer, if they want they can easily go get a summer job and get 2 paychecks at the same time, or work summer school and make even more money.

I'm not trying to say that Teachers don't earn their money and please don't take it that way. I think teachers are one of the most underpaid and crucial roles in the country without a doubt. But there is also a point where they need to look at what they do and who pays them and go "We are public servants, the public is hurting, we need to take a step back and waive the 3% raise this year"

and btw - Pocono Mountain is the lowest ranking public school in Monroe County, the only "public" school they are beating is Pocono Academy and overall in the state they are around 460 out of 670... not even in the upper 50%... lets just say they aren't exactly "making the grade" http://www.psk12.com/rating/USthreeR...ntyID_450.html
    Last edited by Dredly; March 12th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningBoy View Post
    . Pocono Mountain says they will terminate sports programs to pay the difference if the teachers won't budge. What do sports have with education? Absolutely nothing

You think that teachers are greedy for wanting their yearly raise. Well, buy the time they pay the extra co-pays for there insurance the raise is gone anyway. These teachers have paid for a college education and they take updated classes continually throughout there careers. To even be considered for a teaching position you must be the best of the best, not just a guy with a degree. I don't know about anyone else but many of my teachers made significant positive impacts on my life. Well worth the wages they earn.
    1. Sports can make a world of difference in an education. If you don't keep your grades up, you get benched or cut from the team. There are many examples of kids getting into colleges that they wouldn't have been able to afford to were it not for a sport- related scholarship. Good grades are still the best way to get into college, but even with good grades, it can be difficult to get into a good college w/o the funds to pay for the education.

2. I haven't gotten a raise in 3 years, I'm just happy to still be working. Everybody is struggling to pay the bills and has taken one for the team.
    Why can't the teachers? Union contracts and tenure prevent them from having to make sacrificessimilar to non-union workers. Once you have tenure, it doesn't matter if you are a chester molester, you can't be fired. At least not easily.
    Thank GOD for unions.
    Don't take anything I say seriously, unless I say seriously. Seriously.

(Monroe County)

In reality most extracurricular activities can be funded by booster clubs and parent groups. PV wrestlers went to Vegas but it was paid by a booster club not taxpayers. Most youth programs are funded by booster clubs.
    Fundraisers run by supporters, parents and participants could fund most activities.
    Some sports do generate funds with ticket sales.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    In reality most extracurricular activities can be funded by booster clubs and parent groups. PV wrestlers went to Vegas but it was paid by a booster club not taxpayers. Most youth programs are funded by booster clubs.
    Fundraisers run by supporters, parents and participants could fund most activities.
    Some sports do generate funds with ticket sales.
    yeah football makes a TON of money for the school, easily enough to cover all the rest of the sports, i haven't been to a game in years but it used to be like 5.00 / ticket and the stands were packed
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12