Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default My harebrained reciprocity idea

I was thinking about reciprocity the other day. Pennsylvania can’t get reciprocity with many states because there is no training requirement. To get around that, many get Utah or Florida permits. But some states only reciprocate if you are a resident of the permitting state (e.g. South Carolina). We don’t want to change the Pennsylvania requirements for the LTCF to include training so…

What if we had a second Pennsylvania certification- call it an Advanced License to Carry Firearms (ALTCF)? There would be a training requirement for the ALTCF such that we could get reciprocity with those states that require it, getting us the reciprocity we want. And there would still be the regular LTCF for those who only want to carry in Pa and states currently with reciprocity with the freedom to not take official training.

The only downside i can think of offhand is that some states that honor our LTCF might jump ship and say they will only offer the ALTCF.

Well, am i completely nuts?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: My harebrained reciprocity idea

It's not a bad idea,and I like it, but I don't think Pa. would ever go for it. There would be increased expenses and you know how Rendell is. You would have to train the trainers, complicate the record keeping, etc. I would do it, though. I do know a lot of people that have licenses, that don't even carry firearms. maybe if we get a Second Amendment governor next go round.
    NRA Life Member-NRA Range Safety Officer

(Allegheny County)

Have no requirement of a LTCF for lawful citizens of PA to carry concealed. If you want to carry out of state, apply for a LTCF and take training. Kind of like Alaska.

(Lehigh County)

The only thing I see happening with such a license would be that the regular LTCF would be made meaningless, and a few years down the road the LTCF with the training requirement would be kept, and the regular license scrapped.

I just don't see how it wouldn't result in the elimination of a no-training required LTCF. I seriously think it would simply result in a more expensive, and harder to get license. In my view that's moving backwards, not forwards.

(Tioga County)

A better idea would be to go the Alaska route. No LTCF required in PA but you can get one with a training requirement for out of state reciprocity. The state would not need to train the trainers. Just use the NRA basic pistol course. Those that want to certify as trainers just need to submit there NRA stuff to the state and a list is compiled of qualified trainers. OK it's not a lot of training but it is "training".
    USNRET '61-'81

(Monroe County)

No, it's not a bad idea at all. I think it's a great idea, except that I don't see it happening. What we should really hope for, is states that require a level of training to obtain a cwp, chl, ccp, whatever, drop the requirement.

You shouldnt need to be "trained" to carry a gun for self defense. The only thing you need is common sense, and a basic understanding of gun safety, which most places that issue licenses to carry, usually hand out.

Each individual should strive to get some type of formal training eventually, but costs are a great deterent for the average gun owner it would seem. Who has a couple grand to throw down on various, 101 level courses.
    The best thing you can do is get a knowledgeable friend who is a gun owner, to show you the ropes. If you can't, then google it, youtube it. PLenty of GOOD knowledge. This forum for example, has quantitatively taught me more than any course I could have paid for, 100 times over.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

After we get our RTC law in Illinois I would think we could then work on a national reciprocity law. We need to limit the patch work across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by firstkings18 View Post
    I was thinking about reciprocity the other day. Pennsylvania can’t get reciprocity with many states because there is no training requirement. To get around that, many get Utah or Florida permits. But some states only reciprocate if you are a resident of the permitting state (e.g. South Carolina). We don’t want to change the Pennsylvania requirements for the LTCF to include training so…

What if we had a second Pennsylvania certification- call it an Advanced License to Carry Firearms (ALTCF)? There would be a training requirement for the ALTCF such that we could get reciprocity with those states that require it, getting us the reciprocity we want. And there would still be the regular LTCF for those who only want to carry in Pa and states currently with reciprocity with the freedom to not take official training.

The only downside i can think of offhand is that some states that honor our LTCF might jump ship and say they will only offer the ALTCF.

Well, am i completely nuts?
    Or try to get those few states to change their law so they'll accept non-res permits.

(Jefferson County)

How about instead that we work to get the other states, and our own, more in line with the constitutional and eliminate the requirement for licensing.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    No, it's not a bad idea at all. I think it's a great idea, except that I don't see it happening. What we should really hope for, is states that require a level of training to obtain a cwp, chl, ccp, whatever, drop the requirement.

You shouldnt need to be "trained" to carry a gun for self defense. The only thing you need is common sense, and a basic understanding of gun safety, which most places that issue licenses to carry, usually hand out.

Each individual should strive to get some type of formal training eventually, but costs are a great deterent for the average gun owner it would seem. Who has a couple grand to throw down on various, 101 level courses.
    The best thing you can do is get a knowledgeable friend who is a gun owner, to show you the ropes. If you can't, then google it, youtube it. PLenty of GOOD knowledge. This forum for example, has quantitatively taught me more than any course I could have paid for, 100 times over.
    ^ This ^

You should not have to take a required training course to assert your constitutional rights. They don't force people to take political correctness speech classes before running their mouths in public, do they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast