Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Amount of carry ammo VS. judgment of intent

Another thread in the CC forum made me think of a question and I figured I'd start a new thread instead of derailing that one.

I've heard it said that the more tacticool you are when the shit hits the fan, the more likely you're going to come under heated scrutiny when the police finally arrive as well as in court afterwards, and the tables can possibly be turned on you.

Based on this, how much ammo would be considered "appropriate" to carry for self defense in the eyes of the law? A mad man who's off his meds runs all up in your local mall's grill while you happen to be there, and you take him down. When the police show up 15 minutes after he's dead, and you have 1. only what's left in the mag of your weapon, 2. two extra magazines on your weak side hip, 3. two magazines on your other hip plus two more in your pockets, 4. all of the above and a BUG in .45ACP on your calf with a stungun in your waist pocket...

...where do you think the line should be drawn? At what point is it no longer safe for you to use the "self defense" claim if the attack wasn't caught on video tape? If you carry the same amount of ammo for your gun as the po-po do (fully loaded plus two spare mags), are you in good shape?

Sorry if the question isn't clear - I'm doped the fuck up on pain meds this morning thanks to an aggravated surgery site, lol.
    Junior

Default Re: Amount of carry ammo VS. judgment of intent

If the shooting of the BG was justified, it shouldn't make a bit of difference to a prosecutor, judge or jury if you were dressed with a full combat load out.

That's the way it SHOULD be, but not the way it is. Justice doesn't seem to carry a lot of weight in our court system anymore.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lancaster County)

If the police carry 2 spare double stack mags, and they do, then carry that much and be able to express that it's the established standard. That's just shy of 50 rounds and should do the job.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; March 11th, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Bedford County)

wow, me and my seven rounds are feeling very inferior right now .. :-(

You're seeking a solution for social bias. It doesn't exist.
    A good shoot is a good shoot. It can be painted anyway possible, but if I had a right to shoot the scum bag that is the primary factor.

Civil action is my concern.

AFAIC if police can carry a high cap gun with spare mags so can I.
    My life is worth the same as a public servant.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    If the shooting of the BG was justified, it shouldn't make a bit of difference to a prosecutor, judge or jury if you were dressed with a full combat load out.

That's the way it SHOULD be, but not the way it is. Justice doesn't seem to carry a lot of weight in our court system anymore.
    There is a very interesting article based on research with a mock jury at http://www.astcweb.org/public/public...-Armed-Citizen. Not "fair" (what in life really is?), but remember that if worse comes to worst you will not be judged by a "jury of your peers."

(Lebanon County)

I carry one extra mag, if I'm in a situation where I need that I'm probably screwed anyhow. My thought is to have a full reload in the event that I fire any rounds, be it at the range or in self defense.
    I agree that how much you carry shouldn't make a difference but with things the way they are the bad guy's lawyers will do all they can to twist the appearance of the situation to get their client off as lightly as possible. If that means making you look like a thug or a Rambo going out looking for a fight you're making it easier for them if you actually do look like you're (in the eyes of whoever may be on the jury) out looking for a fight. Remember, jurors are picked at random then screened by the attorneys and the attorney who isn't on your side will be looking for hints that their selected jurors are afraid of or don't like guns, knives, or whatever.
    Keep in mind, you may have to go through this in criminal court and then again in civil court. Even if one is fair the other one may not be, or worst case scenario, neither will be fair.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Another thread in the CC forum made me think of a question and I figured I'd start a new thread instead of derailing that one.

I've heard it said that the more tacticool you are when the shit hits the fan, the more likely you're going to come under heated scrutiny when the police finally arrive as well as in court afterwards, and the tables can possibly be turned on you.

Based on this, how much ammo would be considered "appropriate" to carry for self defense in the eyes of the law? A mad man who's off his meds runs all up in your local mall's grill while you happen to be there, and you take him down. When the police show up 15 minutes after he's dead, and you have 1. only what's left in the mag of your weapon, 2. two extra magazines on your weak side hip, 3. two magazines on your other hip plus two more in your pockets, 4. all of the above and a BUG in .45ACP on your calf with a stungun in your waist pocket...

...where do you think the line should be drawn? At what point is it no longer safe for you to use the "self defense" claim if the attack wasn't caught on video tape? If you carry the same amount of ammo for your gun as the po-po do (fully loaded plus two spare mags), are you in good shape?

Sorry if the question isn't clear - I'm doped the fuck up on pain meds this morning thanks to an aggravated surgery site, lol.
    If you are doped up on pain meds this morning, why the fuck are you OC'ing in public???

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...ice-ocing.html

I look forward to your explanation.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

Simple, "I carry an XDm 9 (19+1 capacity) because I like the way the gun looks"

"I carry an extra magazine because it is the only reliable way to get the firearm back into a functioning state if there is a failure of some type"

then stfu.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

oh boy forget about anything I said in the other thread or oc meeting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast