Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Shoulder Holster advice

I recently aquired a galco Jackass shoulder rig for my full size 1911. I'm curious about how other people situate the gun and magaznes. Is the idea to hav the gun tucked up right in your armpit or do you want the gun dangling down more towards your hip? same questions for the mags on the opposite side. is this more of a whatever works best for you deal or is their an established standard of how a shoulder holster should carry your weapon? any input would be appreciated. thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Shoulder Holster advice

It depends on how you're built. In my skinnier days I used to keep everything tucked up high under my armpits. It was easier to keep everything concealed that way. Now that I'm both thicker up top from the weight room and thicker in the middle because I'm old and fat, I can't reach the gun or mags without tearing ligaments and tendons if I carry them up high.

The more time you spend adjusting your shoulder holster, the more comfortable it will be. Take the time to adjust it to where it's as comfortable as possible and lets you easily reach the gun and mags.

Lately I've gotten away from carrying in a shoulder holster for the reason mentioned above as well as I just think you have more clothing options when carrying on the hip. The only time I really used one was when I was hunting or otherwise out in the woods. I also have practiced my draw much more from an IWB or belt holster and I can get the gun out quicker if I'm carrying that way.

(Montgomery County)

Adjust and experiment until you find what works for you. I found that shoulder holsters are terrible and prefer belt strongside (IWB or OWB) or pocket carry.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Franklin County)

Adjust until it fits correctly, I carry my glock in a shoulder holster. I have a wide chest and back so I have to have the gun tucked close to my armpit to reach it.
    "No man's life,liberty,or property are safe while the legislature is in session." -Mark Twain

When I get my Andrews Monarch I will definately post a review. The Monarch is a unique design as it puts an extra strap across the lower back.

www.andrewsleather.com will have more information.