Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Failure to feed on HK USP Compact....help?

hey guys...seeking help again!

I'm getting a failure to feed on my HK USP Compact 40 S&W.
    I got is used, so its obviously not factory new.
    At about the 8th or 7th round (left in the magazine), the gun fails to feed. After that, when there's 6 rounds or less left in the mag, the gun functions fine. Now, the failure to feed seems to be happening at the magazine level. The slide catches the round but instead of pushing it out of the mag into the barrel, the round just runs straight into the front side wall of the mag. I'm assuming the previous owner just kept the mag filled ALL the time (it was his carry gun for several years) and the spring is shot, but doesn't that usually cause the rounds to jam when there's a lower round-in-mag count?
    What do you guys think? Just a mag issue?
    I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks guys!

C1

The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living
    with power to endanger the public liberty. -John Adams

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Failure to feed on HK USP Compact....help?

I would say its most definitely the spring. get new springs or new mags, see if it still happens.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    I would say its most definitely the spring. get new springs or new mags, see if it still happens.
    This.

I'd say the problem is almost definitely a weak spring in the magazine. It's exactly how the weak springs affect the aftermarket mags I got for my Sig P6--slide locks open even though there is more ammunition in the magazine.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    This.

I'd say the problem is almost definitely a weak spring in the magazine. It's exactly how the weak springs affect the aftermarket mags I got for my Sig P6--slide locks open even though there is more ammunition in the magazine.
    Hk mag springs arent even close to being as long as other companies, I think thats why they tend to get compressed easier.

(Bucks County)

this happens with my dads gun, same exact round, every time, but i think its because i dont push the round all the way back. it was an ex service gun so it was probably fully loaded 24/7 also.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the input so far guys! I just bought a new factory mag on Midway...so we'll see in a week. I'll make sure to update you guys.
    Chemical: the bottons still broke...I'll +1 you when it comes back...

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    this happens with my dads gun, same exact round, every time, but i think its because i dont push the round all the way back. it was an ex service gun so it was probably fully loaded 24/7 also.
    I always tap the back of the mag on a soft surface, so generally my rounds are lined up...i think...
    But it is quite peculiar that the exact same thing is happening to yours. Its really quite funny that on the same round it happens...

Hokkmike Guest

Maybe there is an upgrade of the spring that can be put in the gun? This is a model (recommended to me here) that I am considering for a "retirement" present for myself. How do you likr it otherwise?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by den9 View Post
    what do you mean by pushing the round all the way back?...in a double stack .40, the rounds can and do move around in the mag...shake it you'll hear them.

I dont think it has so much to do with being pushed back as it does being pushed up.

People swear up and down that springs dont get compressed if left loaded. I know from first hand experience that they do...not always of course since there are those that have never experienced it...seems to be kinda common with HK but it might have to do with the spring length I mentioned, or maybe they just skimp on mag materials in $900.00 guns, who knows.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Maybe there is an upgrade of the spring that can be put in the gun? This is a model (recommended to me here) that I am considering for a "retirement" present for myself. How do you likr it otherwise?
    I dont know about him, and sorry for answering the question, but I've had a few HK's and one was a usp compact .40 with night sights and LEM trigger. Absolutely loved it. was my carry gun for years, as was a p2000sk in .40 with LEM.

Only problem I EVER had was from leaving the mag loaded for too long and getting spring compression. After that happened I started rotating my carry mag every month so that one wouldnt be loaded for long periods of time.

Buy an HK, you really won't be disappointed, especially if its a retirement gun.I highly recommend the LEM trigger though, its got a shorter reset and is quite lighter than the standard SA/DA variant.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    sorry for answering the question,
    No worries at all! You're more qualified to answer as I've only shot about 50 rounds through.

As far as what I thought about it: I will say it is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot (glocks (26, 19, 17, 30), 1911s, XDs). I don't really mind the trigger, but I'm looking forward to picking up the LEM system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast