Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: your opinions?

(Bucks County)

Default your opinions?

Well went to a gun store with a buddy of mine on saturday (will not give name) and as usual the guy behind the counter had a pistol on his hip some kind of 1911 but here is the messed up thing the hammer was cocked.

I figure the safety was off too because he is that concerned about being able to shoot so quickly. So my concerns

he hits the hammer by accident BOOM
    he hits the counter with the hammer BOOM

I just found it so unsafe and basically idiotic. Thoughts?

Default Re: your opinions?

I will let the experts elaborate on this, but my basic understanding is that many of the 1911 pistols are safe to carry with the hammer cocked. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 18902man View Post
    Well went to a gun store with a buddy of mine on saturday (will not give name) and as usual the guy behind the counter had a pistol on his hip some kind of 1911 but here is the messed up thing the hammer was cocked.

I figure the safety was off too because he is that concerned about being able to shoot so quickly. So my concerns

It's highly unlikely that the safety was off. That would be dumb. I don't think you should assume that.

If he strikes the cocked hammer, it is not going to fire, because the thumb safety and the grip safety will prevent it from moving. Thus a "cocked and locked" 1911 is as safe as any pistol with a round chambered.

(Bucks County)

also I am not 100% it was a 1911 really only saw the hammer and looked like a 1911 but I have a S&W model 439 that looks like a 1911 too in a holster

Do some research on 1911's, That is how they are designed to be carried......

(Allegheny County)

Well, the proper way to carry a 1911-pattern firearm is "cocked & LOCKED". I think it's hard to just suppose by his demeanor that the safety was off.

Also, did this particular 1911-pattern firearm have a beavertail safety? It would be tough, though not impossible, to depress the beavertail safety, and release the hammer at the same time.
    F*S=k

Thats how they are made to be carried, cocked and locked. I can't fathom a person carrying cocked without the safety engaged. However, with that said, even with safety disengaged, there is still the GRIP SAFETY. Nope, see a NG happening given the scenario.

OP, nothing personal but are you sure the safety was not engaged? I do believe you said it looked as if it was not but you are not 100% sure, correct?

It's called "cocked, locked and ready to rock" ... hammer back, safety on (which you weren't sure of) .... my 1911 is like that at all times, even when OC'ing.

In all honesty there is no other way to carry a 1911 as most of them are single action so in an emergency you would have to draw and cock the hammer (which on most models isn't exactly easy)

also I am not 100% it was a 1911 really only saw the hammer and looked like a 1911 but I have a S&W model 439 that looks like a 1911 too in a holster
    Maybe you can brush up on ID'ing a firearm, before jumping to conclusions......

(Lackawanna County)

1911's are meant to be carried cocked and locked. any other way is foolishness. much like your post.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast