Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default S&W 642 question

I have shot about 100 rounds out of my 642 and it's my first double action wheel gun. I am used to my 1911 and glock 36 trigger pull. The 642 has a heavy trigger pull at around 14 pounds. So my question is will a wolf spring kit from midway usa fix the heavy trigger pull? Does anyone recommend something else? Should just keep practicing with the way it is and deal with it? Below is a link to said spring kit. Thanks!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=375177

Default Re: S&W 642 question

well after doing more search on the forums here i found some answers. I still want to know if any one has tried out the springs.
    Last edited by lucas mccain; March 9th, 2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added more info.

If you get the spring kit let me know how it works out & how hard the installation was. I was thinking of looking for a good local smith who could do a trigger job on my wife's 642. If I could lighten it up myself for $10 that'd be great.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Learn to "stack" it and you should be fine.
    Jules

(Bucks County)

Wolff springs are top quality. I use them in trigger and action work on S&W revolvers frequently.

After action work and Wolff springs a typical 640 will have a double action pull weight in the 8 to 9 lb range.

Another plus is they are a very reliable local company. They're in Newtown Pa.

(Montgomery County)

If you're comfortable working on revolver actions I'd say go for it, but if you're new to wheelguns you might want to let a gunsmith do it instead. Is the problem just with the weight of the pull in double action, or is it that the pull is inconsistent (for example, you feel some hitch or hesitation, or bad grittiness, and have to increase trigger pull to get the trigger to break)? If the former, then the Wolff springs should help. If it's the latter, the revolver might benefit from a more complete action job. I'd use a gunsmith for that kind of work.

(Perry County)

The Wolfe springs are very good, and yes the Wolfe company is local and the owner is a shooter and all around good guy.

Having said that there is a lot to be said for doing nothing but lubing and shooting the original gun. You need to learn to stack the shot, i.e. slowly pull the trigger until the cylinder has rotated and there should be a pause where a small additional pressure will release the sear and fire the round. With practice this can be done fast and consistently. As you practice this (in a dry fire mode), you will achieve 3 things. Your finger will strengthen and the pull will seem lighter. The pull will get lighter as the various parts smooth each other off. You will accustom yourself to feeling the various stages of pull and muscle memory will build so that you can reliably stack the pull and get a good sighted shot.

All of the above is not helped by weaker springs. Although the Wolfe springs are excellent there can be function problems with less than factory pressures. Take the trigger return spring for example. This spring pushes the trigger back to reset, and it has to be compressed to fire the round. Lightening it does decrease the pull necessary to fire, however it also slows the return to reset. If you are shooting really fast there is a potential problem as your revolver won't reset immediately. So what you gain in one area is lost in another.

Smith and Wesson has been making side ejector revolvers for some time now and have a pretty good handle on what spring pressures are best. I would recommend stock springs and a good action smoothing by a competent smith. If the money is too much then just lube and cycle the action, it will smooth itself eventually.

Congratulations you have an excellent revolver.

(Montgomery County)

Wolff Gunsprings is a Newtown Square, PA company and a fine establishment.

As for doing the springs yourself, I would advise against it. Most likely you will damage the revolver and or lose parts. Do not attempt to take the side-plate off of a revolver unless you are experienced with it. A good gunsmith will change the springs and polish up the action for less then 80 bucks most likely (my smith charges less and is quite good).

The trigger pull will not get much lighter then 9-10 lbs to reliably fire primers. The heavy trigger pull is required to create enough force with a light weight hammer to reliably ignite primers.

Double action revolver shooting is a completely different animal then what most are used to these days, and it is more difficult to master then SA autos. Practice, practice and some more practice will help improve performance. Here are a few videos to help...

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/s...manhJ0KNWQYqM4
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

I've got over 500 rounds through my 642 and it does feel smoother. I try to shoot it at least once a week to keep myself in practice with it. It IS different than any other gun handgun I shoot!
    1 step at a time will get you through a hard journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    The Wolfe springs are very good, and yes the Wolfe company is local and the owner is a shooter and all around good guy.

Having said that there is a lot to be said for doing nothing but lubing and shooting the original gun. You need to learn to stack the shot, i.e. slowly pull the trigger until the cylinder has rotated and there should be a pause where a small additional pressure will release the sear and fire the round. With practice this can be done fast and consistently. As you practice this (in a dry fire mode), you will achieve 3 things. Your finger will strengthen and the pull will seem lighter. The pull will get lighter as the various parts smooth each other off. You will accustom yourself to feeling the various stages of pull and muscle memory will build so that you can reliably stack the pull and get a good sighted shot.

All of the above is not helped by weaker springs. Although the Wolfe springs are excellent there can be function problems with less than factory pressures. Take the trigger return spring for example. This spring pushes the trigger back to reset, and it has to be compressed to fire the round. Lightening it does decrease the pull necessary to fire, however it also slows the return to reset. If you are shooting really fast there is a potential problem as your revolver won't reset immediately. So what you gain in one area is lost in another.

Smith and Wesson has been making side ejector revolvers for some time now and have a pretty good handle on what spring pressures are best. I would recommend stock springs and a good action smoothing by a competent smith. If the money is too much then just lube and cycle the action, it will smooth itself eventually.

Congratulations you have an excellent revolver.
    I started doing that last night and I can see the difference just buy having my sights on a target. I am going to go to the range this weekend and try ti and see how better my groups are getting. after about 10 pull backs on the trigger i can squeeze fast and get it set up for the second pull which will fire the gun. It's not gritty it's smooth. I think this will work. Thanks for all the help guys! Oh and before i forget is dry firing okay on this gun? I read where it is and it isn't and to get snap caps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast