Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default NJ May Have First Bear Hunt In 5 Years

http://cbs3.com/topstories/black.bea...2.1547536.html

TRENTON (AP) ―

New Jersey's Fish and Game Council is set to propose the state's first black bear hunt in five years on Tuesday.

Acting Environmental Protection Commissioner Bob Martin says several studies have confirmed the number of bears in the state and complaints associated with them are growing.

Former Gov. Jon Corzine blocked the hunts in favor of non-lethal controls.

Opponents say the state hasn't done enough to get people to shield their trash so bears aren't attracted to residential neighborhoods.

Estimates by state biologists showed a 62 percent rise in the number of bears in Sussex and Passaic counties between 2002 and 2007.

Martin says a series of public hearings will be held and he'll make the decision on whether a hunt goes on during six days in December.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: NJ May Have First Bear Hunt In 5 Years

My father lives in West Milford. It is odd if he doesn't see 4 or 5 bears a week. He had a bear break into the kitchen through the screen door last summer. My sister lives in Upper Greenwood Lake and had a large bear break into her front porch on two consecutive evenings through different windows. The problem is out of control.

Last week a dog was killed by a bear in Wayne. They are everywhere if they are in Wayne. In NJ that bear better be facing you when you shoot or at minimum you'll get a free night sleep in county.

(Westmoreland County)

Former Gov. Jon Corzine blocked the hunts in favor of non-lethal controls.

HAHAHAHA I love when this tree hugging bullshit flies back in their face

I'll believe it when it happens.
    FUCK BIDEN

(York County)

Could be a good source of revenue for NJ. I believe that it was NAHC magazine that predicted the country's black bear record to fall on the 1st day of NJ's season if they ever opened one.
    3%

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    Could be a good source of revenue for NJ. I believe that it was NAHC magazine that predicted the country's black bear record to fall on the 1st day of NJ's season if they ever opened one.
    Sure, they are well fed...and the 'feel good' types are bitching already...

You know this is gonna' end up in court...........

(Monroe County)

NJ did have a bear season five years ago. From that time on it was always blocked. They did kill some large bears. There are some large areas of state forest and many garbage cans to make them fat.

(Wayne County)

I`d leave the bear alone. Let them eat the LIberal Bastards just like the left coast when it comes to Mtn lions, poor little kitty. They started the anti hunting BS let them deal with it. Strange when the animals they so cherish eat thier expensive shrubs like the deer were doing in Princeton they call in people from out of state to kill them at night with silenced weapons and let the meat go to waste. Damn shame. SCREW THEM

(Lackawanna County)

Didn't they try this like 10 years ago ?

It was right before I moved out when I was 10. I lived in Franklin Nj, and people started baiting the bears and feeding them, then when the hunt fell through we had a butt ton of bears wandering around looking for food.
    Que sera, Sera

(Northampton County)

For this discussion.

For Immediate Release:
    March 17, 2010

DEP ACTING COMMISSIONER APPROVES PROPOSED
    COMPREHENSIVE BLACK BEAR MANAGEMENT POLICY

(10/P16) TRENTON - New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Acting
    Commissioner Bob Martin today approved the New Jersey Fish and Game Council's 2010
    Comprehensive Black Bear Management Policy.

"The Council incorporated the latest research and science into its proposed black
    bear management policy that shows the population is sustainable and growing," Acting
    Commissioner Martin said. "This growth coincides with an increase in serious bear
    incidents supporting the need for population control in addition to continued
    nonlethal management tools including public education and outreach."

The DEP also supports legislation that would increase penalties for people who feed
    black bears and draw the animals into populated areas.

The most recent black bear population estimate for the portion of New Jersey north
    of I-80 is approximately 3,400 based on a 2009 DNA study by East Stroudsburg
    University. The bear population in this area has increased to its current level from
    an estimate of 500 bears in 1992.

Category I bear incidents, involving black bears exhibiting behavior that is an
    immediate threat to human safety, or those causing agricultural damage to farmland
    or property damage over $500, have increased 96 percent from 2006 to 2009. Category
    I, II and III incidents combined have increased by 130 percent during the same time
    period.

The Comprehensive Black Bear Management Policy's integrated approach to managing
    black bears includes research and monitoring, non-lethal and lethal control of
    problem bears, public education on coexisting with bears, law enforcement to reduce
    conflicts between bears and people, and a controlled hunt.

Over the past 10 years, bear education programs have been presented by the DEP to
    more than 100,000 people, and more than 3 million pieces of bear education
    literature have been distributed. This year 31 bear education programs and outreach
    efforts have been conducted with an additional 21 programs scheduled.

DEP Conservation Officers inspected more than 4,600 residential properties in high
    bear incident areas and found 98 percent were in compliance with black bear garbage
    management guidelines. This spring, Conservation Officers will focus enforcement
    efforts and education outreach on commercial properties in high bear incident areas.

In 2005, the New Jersey Supreme Court held that the Council may authorize a black
    bear hunt only if a hunt is consistent with a comprehensive black bear management
    policy developed by the Council and approved by the Commissioner. In 2007, the New
    Jersey Appellate Division required that any comprehensive black bear management
    policy be adopted in accordance with the New Jersey Administrative Procedure Act.

The proposed plan will now be submitted to the Office of Administrative Law for
    publication in the April 19 New Jersey Register. Following publication, the public
    will have 60 days to comment on the proposed policy in writing, and will also have
    the opportunity to comment during a public hearing on May 11 at 6 p.m., New Jersey
    State Museum, 205 West State St., Trenton, NJ 08625.

To review the Fish and Game Council's proposed Comprehensive Black Bear Management
    Policy, visit: http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/bearpolicy10.htm

###