Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Letter with CC license

My brother applied for a CC permit before he was redeployed. Last week he got it in the mail, along with a rather disturbing letter from the sheriff of Schuykill County. It offered 8 pieces of advice under the heading: "As the issuing authority i will offer these words of caution."

#1: Any contact with law enforcement as a result of carrying a firearm may result in the revocation of this license.

#5: Overt and unnecessary display of your firearm can cause an adverse reaction from fellow citizens and contact from law enforcement.

#6: Avoid locations where alcoholic beverages are served. Inhibitions and good judgement can be affected if you or the people around you are drinking.

#8: Common sense dictates that the constant carrying or a firearm is unecessary, only carry when it is nessicary and restrict use to situations that do not require it.

1 and 5 are pretty straight forward, no open carrying or we will harass you or worse, revoke your license. 6 should be changed to just say don't drink and carry since avoiding any places that serve alcohol include almost every restraunt i've eaten at in the past 6 months. 8 is just pure stupidity because anyone with a head on thier shoulders realizes that a crime against you could happen at anytime and not just in "bad" neighborhoods. Anyways, i will be writting a letter to the Sheriff and i'll post it up when i'm done with it.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Letter with CC license

Quote Originally Posted by J.W. View Post

#1: Any contact with law enforcement as a result of carrying a firearm may result in the revocation of this license.

#5: Overt and unnecessary display of your firearm can cause an adverse reaction from fellow citizens and contact from law enforcement.

#6: Avoid locations where alcoholic beverages are served. Inhibitions and good judgement can be affected if you or the people around you are drinking.

#8: Common sense dictates that the constant carrying or a firearm is unecessary, only carry when it is nessicary and restrict use to situations that do not require it.
    all of these sound pretty consistent with the opinion of LEO in PA, for the most part.

(Bucks County)

Although I disagree with the sentiment, it is at least polite of him to admit in writing that he intends to violate your civil rights whenever the whim takes him.

Mere statement of fact, or veiled threat? Only time will tell.

He didn't actually say, avoid these locations when you're carrying. I think he means, avoid them altogether. That's good advice, considering the potential for beer goggling. Oh the hUmNiTy!!!

Common sense is so....COMMON. We as gun owners, however, have developed the ability to exercise EXTRAORDINARY sense, which tells us to be armed whenever possible. But he could be right about "constant" carrying. I personally prefer not to carry while showering, swimming, or sleeping. Just sayin'.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    Although I disagree with the sentiment, it is at least polite of him to admit in writing that he intends to violate your civil rights whenever the whim takes him.
    Polite? Hardly. It's rather contemptuous of him to put any such statements in a letter to send out with the LTCF's that he issues.

He's not there to force his opinions as policy, he's there to issue LTCF's to the citizens that he serves in the county that he works for.

Unfortunately this kind of bullshit probably falls under the 1st Amendment.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    Well I can think of a few ways a lawyer could use that letter should the need arise.

(Delaware County)

Meh, another dick LEO. What a surprise.
    Junior

(Adams County)

I agree with #1, that's why everyone on here advises against talking with a LEO. I am sure that wasn't what he meant, but ...

Unfortunately, #5 is probably a true statement.

I guess #6 is a good idea. Depends on your personality and how mean you and others get when you drink.

I totally disagree with #8.

3 out of 4 (in my opinion), that's better than info from some sheriffs.
    Last edited by jtwalker; March 8th, 2010 at 07:42 PM.

I am just shocked at how much trouble you all get from your LEOs. Here in Illinois we have the official support and endorsement for CCW from our Sherriffs Association.

(Lehigh County)

My brother applied for a CC permit before he was redeployed. Last week he got it in the mail, along with a rather disturbing letter from the sheriff of Schuykill County. It offered 8 pieces of advice under the heading: "As the issuing authority i will offer these words of caution."

1 and 5 are pretty straight forward, no open carrying or we will harass you or worse, revoke your license. 6 should be changed to just say don't drink and carry since avoiding any places that serve alcohol include almost every restraunt i've eaten at in the past 6 months. 8 is just pure stupidity because anyone with a head on thier shoulders realizes that a crime against you could happen at anytime and not just in "bad" neighborhoods. Anyways, i will be writting a letter to the Sheriff and i'll post it up when i'm done with it.
    #1: If I am engaged in a lawful activity, including open carry, it is none of your business.

#5: If I chose to open carry, rather than CC, it is none of your business. I may only want the LTCF for vehicular transport.

#6: As long as I am not drinking to excess and performing an illegal act with my firearm, it is none of your business.

#8: Where and why I carry is none of your business.

To sum up, he should mind his own f-ing business. He issued it because he was prohibited, by law, from refusing to do so, and beyond that should keep his personal opinions to himself and not imply that they have any authoritative legal weight at all.
    I am ashamed of those who represent me.

(Bucks County)

Can drinking and open carrying be cause for disorderly conduct?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast