Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Can't get a scope sighted in

I recently put the scope rail on my Marlin 39a, since it didnt come with the right screws, I took it to Big Buck's right by the Wexford range to get the screws and they just put the whole thing on for me. Problem is that the scope rail is not centered and the scope doesnt even have enough right adjustment to try to get it on target. I'm thinking the best/easiest thing to do at this point would be to take it to a gunsmith and have them remount the rail/scope and site it in for me. I have never taken something to a smith before so I have a few questions. How much would something like this cost me, and does anyone have any recommendations for where to take it. I live in Highland Park but don't mind driving a little bit if its for someone who does a good job at a fair price.

Thanks

Default Re: Can't get a scope sighted in

How much more do you need to move it? Was the windage adjustment "in the middle" when it was mounted or already moved to the right? I have never had anything done at Big Buck, but find them rude. That is not to say they don't know how to mount a scope. My other question is what do you mean by "off center". Answer some of these and maybe we can help you out.
    Jules

(Beaver County)

my thoughts also make sure the windage was in the middle can't just throw a scope on a gun and hope it 's in the middle.
    you have to make sure you have a little room to play with for your right to left movement.

the guy at big buck from what i know is a gunsmith,just a young guy,hope he did not screw your gun up.good luck.
    do you feel lucky punk,well do ya!

(Allegheny County)

I am pretty certain the rail is mounted pointing a little to the left of where the rifle is actually pointing. I adjusted the windage as far right as I could and it was still hitting around 2 feet right of the cross hairs at 50 yards (which was an improvement from the 3 or 4 feet when I started). The rifle came with the holes for the rail already drilled and the rail. I will admit I am nowhere near an expert on these types of matters and it could simply be me screwing this up; but when I put the scope on my Mossberg's rifled barrel, I was able to adjust it without much difficulty. This is much much worse. That is why I am thinking it might be best to take it to a qualified gunsmith.
    Last edited by Red Dawn 4Life; March 9th, 2010 at 11:11 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Well I tried to take the rail off to check if the which has the holes improperly drilled, the rifle or rail. I had two wrenches for the screws, and both of the stripped in the process. I don't have the equipment to try to drill out the screws or something. Please recommend a knowledgeable and hopefully affordable gunsmith in the Pittsburgh area. I would greatly appreciate it, I don't want to accidentally go to another place like Big Buck's.

(Philadelphia County)

You have to make sure the mounts are lined up to each other. A scope mounting kit would help. See link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=816462

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    You have to make sure the mounts are lined up to each other. A scope mounting kit would help. See link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=816462
    That's a nice setup for lapping the rings....there is a cheaper version.....but I don't think 2 feet at 50 yards is a lapping issue......

It would be helpful to know the whole setup. I'm assuming you have a one piece base that attaches with the two screws on top of the receiver with 2 rings? What kind?

Some rings like the Leopould STD version have a horizontal adjustment in the rear and it's easy to mess up centering them.

Lycanpicswouldbeevenbetterthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the help, I ended up taking it to Stewart's Gunsmithing up near Butler. I am taking classes and working full time so I decided to just let a professional handle it rather than continue to mess around when I wasn't sure what I was doing. When I have more time I look forward to learning more of these things myself.