Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice

Default I need advice

I am moving from The People's Republic of NJ to Bethlehem at the end of the month. I plan on getting my CCW permit and have already spoke to the local PD about how to do so (I was surprised that I don't have to register ANY of my firearms we have to in NJ). I'm looking for advice from everyone as being from NJ I have never carried before and would like some input on it. Sorry for being so vague but I truly know nothing about it other than I will be carrying a firearm. I have a G26, Ruger LCP, Kel Tec P32 and S&W 642 with holsters so I have the tools I just don't know what to expect,in NJ I would instantly be pegged a criminal. I would like to know if there are any places I can't or shouldn't carry, I do know that I shouldn't be consuming alcohol and I know about not in the Post Office but that's all I know so any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Craig

Default Re: I need advice

Welcome! I moved from NJ to PA just before Thanksgiving, so know a little how you feel.

Here's your first stop:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html

After that, feel free to ask specific questions.

ETA: your PA LTCF (we don't call it a CCW permit here) will be good in a number of other states:

http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...ry/reciprocity

A good place to hit to get a solid overview of each state's specific carry laws is www.handgunlaw.us. Each state is slightly different on their carry laws (some states allow carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, some don't, etc.), so you need to brush up on what's legal.

Good luck, and be safe!
    Last edited by AJChenMPH; March 8th, 2010 at 01:02 PM.

(Monroe County)

Welcome

Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do. Great resources here so take your time and read up, you'll thank me later. Also when your informed of the rules and do's and don't you will feel more comfortable with the "i'm not a criminal aspect" or atleast I did coming from Queens NY.

Sounds like you also got a good set of carry guns.
    Personally I use a Glock 26 because it's my carry gun with a ten round magazine and a range/nightstand gun when using a fifteen round magazine with grip spacer. One gun to mess up as a work gun and all my practice on one grip, sights, trigger and poa/poi. I also use a Keltec P3AT for utmost concealment and when lounging around the house but it's manual of arms is the same as a Glock except for the lack of a slide stop.

Remember a good holster and belt combo go a long way for comfort and concealment if you decide not to openly carry.

(Lebanon County)

As far as not carrying if you consume alcohol,;
    You do not give up your right to self defense if you have a drink with dinner. Even a few drinks throughout the day isn't a reason to lose your right to protect yourself. Common sense should tell you that getting shitfaced with guns is not a good idea. Getting shitfaced isn't a good idea on it's own but combining it with cars or other potential weapons is a real bad idea.
    Some people refuse to drive if they've had even one drink, some refuse to carry if they're going to have even one drink. There's no law against either, be responsible and you'll be fine.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Tioga County)

Yes, you can bring all your guns with you from PRNJ. There is no registry. When you bring them just be sure they are unloaded and the ammo separate from the firearm. Until you get your LTCF there are limits on transporting your pistols and other short barreled bang sticks. Moving from PRNY or PRNY requires you to develop a whole new mindset about guns. Want an evil black rifle? once you have residence established just go to the local gun shop and buy one. No waiting except for the PICS check. That usually takes no more than 5 min. No more permission to buy slips period.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Warren County)

And purchasing long guns face to face froma private seller requires no notification to any agency.

It's a good idea to CYA with a bill of sale and a copy of the seller's drivers license or other ID, so in case the piece is hot or has a history, you are covered.

Handguns require background check through a FFL.

Welcome to more freedom!
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

And as much as it's not necessary, I would suggest training.

(Adams County)

Welcome to the commonwealth. As was said already, there are many great resources here. Enjoy the reading.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

(Montgomery County)

In Montgomery county I received a one page list of "do's and don'ts" when I got my LTCF. Not a full blown education but at least a concise summary of how not to be a dumbass. Maybe your county does the same.

Best of luck and congrats on your escape from the Empire!

Ham radio: when all else fails.

Thanks to all that have replied. As I expected the people of Pa. to shine through in vivid colors. AJ thanks for the links they greatly helped, is there any formal training that I will need? I am prior military but that is my only formal training with firearms. Thanks again to all of you who made my transition from the Empire much easier.
    Craig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast