Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default FL LTCF...anyone have experience?

Does anyone have experience with the process in obtaining a FL CCW/LTCF? I'm considering it just for the 29 or 30 state agreement.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: FL LTCF...anyone have experience?

Go to the FL website and request that they mail you the application packet. The whole process can be done by mail...you do need proof of training.

I have the entire application ready to mail out...i just haven't had the funds available to do it yet...so i can't speak to the processing time.

(Schuylkill County)

I have a Florida CCW. Coming from New Jersey, its the only way I can carry outside my home state.

With a PA LTCF you do have reciprocity in 23 states I believe.
    http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-fi...ry/reciprocity
    But having a license from Florida and or Utah gives you a few more

(Adams County)

Yes, I have FL license. What do you want to know ?

My only advice other than follow directions is to get your application notarized with an ink stamp, not just an embossed stamp. When I got mine, FL scanned your application and could not see my embossed notary stamp so I had it rejected and had to send it back through after carefully highlighting the notary stamp with a black marker.
    Last edited by jtwalker; March 8th, 2010 at 12:14 PM.

(Lehigh County)

I have one - not too difficult and mine took just over 60 days to arrive (if memory serves me correctly).

FL has a training requirement. I took Jasons UT class and decided to go the FL route instead of UT. Basically he had to create a course outline and a completion certificate that he e-mailed me. As a couple other students had done the same it wasnt an issue.

1) go to the FL website and request they mail you a packet (order three, one fo you, one for your spouse, and an "extra" in case you mess up anything... like the fingerprint card).

2) get your training done

3) get prints at the local PD and two passport photos

4) send it in (with the required documentation).

Thats pretty much it. After you receive it you can tell folks at a social event that Charles Bronson has signed your CCW (youll understand once you get your FL CCW).

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    Yes, I have FL license. What do you want to know ?
    Just wondering how long it takes to process? Any experience with a specific training course? Is there a catch to the reciprocity, ie. is it just that easy and I could then carry in DE, MD, etc.? I guess no way in hell I'm ever carrying in NJ or NY...

Scratch my previous...I guess I won't be carrying in MD even with an FL card. Is there any advantage to getting Utah's instead? I ask here because there seems to be an awful lot of "unofficial" info when looking into it via google, and I prefer my unofficial info to at least come from here.

I started the process to get my FL CWP before I found out I was moving to PA (also was in NJ). Biggest pain is getting fingerprinted and getting the application form notarized. It only adds about 7 or 8 states vs. the PA LTCF with regards to reciprocity, and it's pricey ($117), but it's a good backup to have.

If you travel to Florida, you can probably make arrangements to do the application in person.

If you need a course to meet the training requirement, you can go through www.personaldefensesolutions.net -- they have a one-stop course that takes care of all the paperwork (including fingerprinting and notarization). My only issue is that they're a bit disorganized (and Dr. Eimer has a tendency to go off on tangents), so allow way more time than the stated 3 hours -- but it is very convenient to not have to drive around all over the place. Budget another $100 for the day.

ETA -- to answer your other questions:

- it took about a month from when I mailed in my application to when I received my FL CWP (mailed in mid-September 2009, got it in mid-October 2009).

- as long as you carry the CWP, you're good to go for carrying in the states that honor the FL CWP. Just be careful of which states honor the FL CWP only if you're a FL resident (i.e., Colorado, South Carolina), you won't be able to carry in those states on a non-resident FL CWP.
    Last edited by AJChenMPH; March 8th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by richrock View Post
    Scratch my previous...I guess I won't be carrying in MD even with an FL card. Is there any advantage to getting Utah's instead? I ask here because there seems to be an awful lot of "unofficial" info when looking into it via google, and I prefer my unofficial info to at least come from here.
    Like you moving out of NJ, I moved out of MD. Unless you're rich, or well connected politically (i.e. powerful) or a business owner that handles large amounts of cash (like a big city drug dealer) then you don't carry legally in MD.

I believe there may be one or two states different between FL and UT. The instructor for a UT accepted class has to be UT BCI certified, so that makes finding a class a little harder. Go here and compare reciprocity for yourself --> http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

I hear UT is thinking about changing the requirements on the instructor which may make it even harder for us east coast folks to take a class. Don't know if that's a definite yet or not.

(Franklin County)

It is pretty strait forward. Two passport photos, fingerprints and proof of training. Send it all in with a completed application and you are all set. NRA Basic Pistol training worked fine for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast