Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Delta Gun Checkin. PHL>ATL

Checked in at PHL for a flight to ATL.

Declared the gun. opened to show the nice guys beind the counter. They liked the 908s and had a bright orange zip-tie through the barrel. They made me sign a card saying it is unloaded and told me to stuff the lockbox in my huge suitcase. They said better that way.

These guys treated me better than I have ever been treated at an airport. Then I drug it all over to the tsa guys xraying luggage and explained that there was an unloaded and declared handgun. They were seriously cool and gave me a thumbs up and told me to hit it after a xray scan. Off to the gate I went. It may have taken a few minutes longer but not more than 2 or 3.

Upon arrival in ATL... No problems just pick up suitcase.. get in hertz car and reload and conceal on roadside. If ATL hassles me on my way back i'll update this. If no updates, consider this a cakewalk.

=basics.

Put a nice orange ziptie through barrel ( backwards >smooth side to ratchet) as not to lock. This gives tem a quick warm fuzzy that it is clear.
    This way the orange zip-tie can be reused over and over.

All ammo in original style box (I had basic speer 20 pack). Mags empty.

I had my name on lock box. I used a 'on sale' wally world lockbox. It is fireproof style for valuables. It is heavy and has a nice lock on it. I used some foam padding to make it keep the gun,ammo and 2 mags from rattling about.

They didn't make a big deal out of anything.

Again.. these guys were great!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Delta Gun Checkin. PHL>ATL

one suggestion: tape a card to the case with your cell number and something that says "TSA/Security: Any questions please call #555-555-1234"

some of these bastards are stupid, and will CUT open a locked case containing a declared firearm, even tho tey are specifically prohibited from doing so.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    one suggestion: tape a card to the case with your cell number and something that says "TSA/Security: Any questions please call #555-555-1234"
    Why should they call Florida SteakHouse?

(Washington County)

Now that's how it's supposed to be done!
    The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held his ground.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post

some of these bastards are stupid, and will CUT open a locked case containing a declared firearm, even tho tey are specifically prohibited from doing so.

Excellent Idea!!!!!

I will do that. Thanks

And good humor on the Florida Steakhouse.. haha

Similar to my experience with United at PHL. Don't count on only 2-3 extra minutes, though. Returning from Denver, they walked me half way across the airport to a TSA screening room -- added about an extra half hour.

When I looked at my box, I already had a brother p-touch label with name and phone on it stuck near the handle. I forgot I had done that.. getting old sucks.

On return from atlanta I had three hefty under worked ladies stare at it and one finally sighed and tore through all my dirty laundry with a swab device . It took me a bit to get it all back in. Not too bad but it is nice having a travel partner in a city that seems to have 4-6 murders daily.

I had a chance to go see my pal in Kennesaw, GA . "Wild Man" in town at his civil war shop. If you get a chance you have to go there!

I flew from pa to nh this past week, didn't have my gun but had electronic ear pro in my carry on, I guess in the xray it look suspicious they put it thru the machine a few times, pulled me aside and opened my bag to look at it. he saw my book, combative fundamentals by jeff gonzales and said to me, just shoot first. I said got to make sure he's the bad guy, he said, if he has a gun he's the bad guy. i shrugged my shoulder and left. on the flight back i wore the ear pro on my head while in line, got one tsa a guy to say, you know you'll be inside the plane. lol.