Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Gun on Boat

(Chester County)

Default Gun on Boat

This may have been asked before and if it has, sorry..

I have a license to carry in PA and have a boat that I live on (weekends) in Maryland. For tax purposes at least, my boat is considered a second residence. My question, is it legal for me to transport my gun from my home in PA to my boat in MD (complying with the MD firearms transportation laws) and keep my gun on the boat for the time I am aboard? What about if I decide to take a trip and take the boat to New Jersey or Virginia?

My guess is that I can't do any of this legally but would like to know my options (if any).

Thanks in advance.
    Frank H.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Gun on Boat

that's a very good question! sounds logical, that once you're in your home there in MD, you could keep it out, but no I couldn't say for sure. I'm definitely curious though to know the answer when someone chimes in on it.

I'm willing to bet you'd be screwed either way on NJ, though. unless maybe you parked out in international waters? another good question there too heh, not sure how far out that line is though.

(Cambria County)

WOW, never seen our panel of Gun Nuts stumped before.

Someone has to know the answer to this question. Once you're on a boat. What are your legal rights. I figure I am covered on a lake in PA. But what happens if I cruise down the Susquehanna or the Allegheny and just keep going. Am I carrying legally once I leave PA?
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cambria County)

I would suspect that, much like an RV, it doesn't matter, you are bound to the laws of the state that you are currently in. If you're on a lake in Maryland, then Maryland laws likely apply. I would suggest contacting whomever patrols/polices the lake/lakes/waterways in question (state police, river police, coast guard whomever) or the respective Attorney General and asking them to be sure.

I, for one, would like to know the answer to this thread.
    mw
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

(York County)

Well lets start with you must have a valid carry permit for the state you are on the water. There are invisible lines the states recoginize on the water. If you are stopped on the water, chances are it will be DNR. Any firearm on the boat is treated as if you were in a car. You are held to MD standards.

This comes from spending alot of time on the water in MD, thats why I moved to PA.

Calvin