Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default First time OCing into Philly tomorrow - well wishes and tips requested

So, as many of you know, I had brain surgery 12 days ago (yes I am keeping daily count). I have a follow up visit with my neurosurgeon tomorrow morning at Jefferson, and I am planning to OC all the way down, cover up in the building to be respectful to those inside, and OC on my way out andback home.

It wouldn't be such a big deal, but in order to not lie (I'm under Dr.'s orders to NOT DRIVE til I see him tomorrow), I am taking the train (R5 specifically) down and back.

This will be my first time OCing within city limits, as well as my first time OCing on SEPTA, which is a "do what you want but we prefer it if you leave your piece at home" organization. Well wishes and tips for the trip are welcome. If anything interesting comes of it, I will be sure to let you know.
    Junior

(Monroe County)

Default Re: First time OCing into Philly tomorrow - well wishes and tips requested

You shouldn't need luck, but good luck.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Chester County)

Default Re: First time OCing into Philly tomorrow - well wishes and tips requested

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    So, as many of you know, I had brain surgery 12 days ago (yes I am keeping daily count). I have a follow up visit with my neurosurgeon tomorrow morning at Jefferson, and I am planning to OC all the way down, cover up in the building to be respectful to those inside, and OC on my way out andback home.

It wouldn't be such a big deal, but in order to not lie (I'm under Dr.'s orders to NOT DRIVE til I see him tomorrow), I am taking the train (R5 specifically) down and back.

This will be my first time OCing within city limits, as well as my first time OCing on SEPTA, which is a "do what you want but we prefer it if you leave your piece at home" organization. Well wishes and tips for the trip are welcome. If anything interesting comes of it, I will be sure to let you know.
    Just keep all of your ducks in a row, remember the laws you have learned, and don't take it personally when you get confronted. Stay calm.

Good luck with OC and with the news from the doctor.

PS. you may want to have GL's phone number handy, though, I hope you don't need it.

(Philadelphia County)

There is a police station right next to jeff. So you got a good chance to meet some police. If that does happen, just keep asking if your free to go. If your not free to go ask to speak to their supervisor. Explain the law once to him,then ask if your free to go. If you are not, demand a lawyer for any further interactions.

That's what i'd do. It may not be the best idea. So do what feels comfortable to you.

I cc 98% of the time, so I don't really know first hand how you will be confronted, if at all. . .

(Delaware County)

I got a hold of GL's phone number, just in case.

The train ride down was uneventful. The walk to my doctor's office was uneventful (even though I had to go around the block once because I momentarily forgot which way I was heading). The walk back to the station, the train ride home, and the multiple walks to the pharmacy to NOT get my medication (fuck you, insurance) were uneventful.

All I really have of note to mention are these two things. In order to remove my stitches, the nurse asked me to remove my shirt. I said, "Just so it doesn't surprise you, I'm carrying a weapon." She said, "Oh? Why?" I explained to her it's because I have the right to, and that I am walking around on foot in Philly. She said, "Oh, ok." and that was the end of it.

Also, while walking home from my second hike to the pharmacy, a police cruiser drove by me on the way to the station, which was just up the road I was walking. I carry on my left side and that's the side the road was on, so I am fairly certain he saw it, but he didn't even slow down before turning into the parking lot a hundred feet ahead.
    Junior

(Chester County)

Wow. That's awesome! Sounds like a good OC day.

So, if you don't mind me asking, did the Doc have good news for you? Is everything looking good?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post

i OCed on SEPTA when i was in Norristown/Philly and it was a non issue....