Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Post Jews with guns - not only in the Israel Defense Forces

Jews with guns - not only in the Israel Defense Forces
    By Natasha Mozgovaya
    Haaretz
    03/05/2010

Excerpt:

WASHINGTON - In the year after the election of Barack Obama as president, more than 14 million weapons were sold in the United States compared with 12.7 million the year before. Gun-shop owners have argued that the rise in sales is linked in part to concerns that the Democratic administration will try to restrict the rights of Americans to hold weapons under license.

The Obama administration has not taken a clear stance on the issue, but in some U.S. states legal battles over the right to bear arms has begun in earnest.

So far Obama has been forced to sign into law the right to carry weapons in national parks, and also the right to bear arms in train compartments. Virginians, meanwhile, were given the right to carry concealed weapons in bars and restaurants, while a 17-year-old law banning the right to buy more than one gun per month was revoked.

In Indiana, companies may no longer prevent their employees from keeping arms in their cars parked on company property. Starbucks became the site of demonstrations by supporters and opponents of gun control after the coffee chain decided to allow customers in states where carrying arms is legal to enter its cafes carrying unconcealed weapons.

Much of the Jewish community has remained outside the debate: Some 90 million U.S. residents hold 200 million firearms, but only a tiny minority of American Jews have guns. However, there appears to be a revival among supporters of the right to bear arms among Jews who say that attitudes are changing because of new threats they face.

Haaretz

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Jews with guns - not only in the Israel Defense Forces

Quote Originally Posted by Belasarius View Post
    So far Obama has been forced to sign into law the right to carry weapons in national parks, and also the right to bear arms in train compartments. Virginians, meanwhile, were given the right to carry concealed weapons in bars and restaurants, while a 17-year-old law banning the right to buy more than one gun per month was revoked.
    The bolded is not quite accurate, but interesting article.

(Lehigh County)

Virginians, meanwhile, were given the right to carry concealed weapons in bars and restaurants
    The writer of this article does not grasp the concept of natural rights. Virginians were given no such right; the government merely stopped infringing on said right.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Lancaster County)

They actually have their own pro-gun organization. I'm pretty sure you don't need to be Jewish to join, but I really don't know much about them.

http://www.jpfo.org/

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by flabbydan View Post
    They actually have their own pro-gun organization. I'm pretty sure you don't need to be Jewish to join, but I really don't know much about them.

They mentioned the org, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership spelled out in the last paragraph of the article. The comments are pretty good. There are some anti-gunners interjecting their, "20 times more likely to kill a family member," stuff.

I don't argue that stuff much anymore. I used to keep a big file box full of research material, books, federalist papers, etc, and spend an hour crafting an airtight rebuttal of a point only to have some Brady-ite journalist on Compuserve accuse me of making up George Washington quotes.

Arguing with an anti-gunner is just like arguing with my ex-wife. When I finally am on the verge of winning an argument somehow my opponent and I get translated into a 3rd dimension where up is down. So, I pretty much gave it up.

Virginians, meanwhile, were given the right to carry concealed weapons in bars and restaurants
    Not quite true. Virginians (along with every other human being on the planet) have always had the right to carry concealed weapons in bars and restaurants, and everywhere else they are allowed to go.

It is not up to the Commonwealth of Virginia to "grant" the right to carry, because it is a crime to limit it in the first place. Virginians have that right by virtue of being human beings. What changes was that Virginia decided to stop criminally trampling so much upon that right, although they still trample on it in many ways, not the least of which is requiring a permit to conceal in the first place.

(Adams County)

I'm guessing this is a jewish newspaper or something. My assistant at work is jewish and has been to Isreal twice. He says the difference in culture is amazing. People there are not sue happy, they still have personal responsibilty so if you screw up, you can't sue somebody else.

The best part is the view about guns. He told me that pretty much everyone in Isreal carries a gun. Girls in the military go to the beach in their fatigues, set their rifle down, strip to a bikini, and go swimming, then they come back, get dressed and pick up their gun. He even saw a rabbi take of his coat and had two large, nickel plated 9mms, one on each hip. They not only see it as a right, but as a responsibility to proctect their country.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

I happen to know some badass Jewish folk. Seriously. They could kick my ass. Much respect to that 'tribe' (hopefully who I'm intending that for sees this).

(Susquehanna County)

Gee do you think we should tell them about JPFO (Jews for Preservation of Firearms Ownership)?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by flabbydan View Post

You don't need to be Jewish, I'm a member.

See my sig.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast