Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default So I go to the range today...

with my trusty Beretta and start my routine. Five yards out to get me warmed up, let off a few rounds and then slide isn't releasing with a loaded mag. A quick field strip & inspection reveals nothing, put it back together and got only 2 to fire without a manual release. Another takedown and this time it was noticed that the slide catch is sticking out a bit and "spring" was gone. That answered the problem, but I'm at the range on Sunday and they don't stock those parts. Didn't bring anything else with me, so I'm now done. Packed up the gear, made a few stops and headed home. Upon arrival, the dining room table/floor area where I usually clean was checked. Right then, my wife came down stairs and asks whats going on. Told her what happened and she shrugged saying she just cleaned and didn't see anything. So fuck it, will order a couple later. Plopped on the sofa, turned on the TV and chugged a couple brews. While sitting there and thinking about it, had just remembered that the catch was also sticking out a little bit last week during cleaning. I wasn't feeling that great, so pushed it in and finished up. Pistol was cycled a few times and put away. Now, I'm thinking WTF! Gotta look again even though wifey had vaccumed. Got down at eye level on floor with flashlight and nothing. Oh well, might as well pick up this black thread next to the table leg while down there. Holy crap! The spring survived!! All is well and my PX4 is ready to rumble. Guess perstistance pays off, thought this was worth sharing...Joe.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: So I go to the range today...

From one who has taken apart more than a few arms and "dropped" stuff your persistence really paid off. Next time have the wifey buy a box of clear one gallon zip lock bags-take the gun apart in the bag and it is much easier to find the parts that look like dog hair.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Jefferson County)

Springs are the worst damn thing to find. The room I clean pistols in has a gray carpet, you have to use a flashlight to find anything metal because the reflection is about the only way to make it out. Always nice when you find one right away though. It's the little victories, IMO.

(Susquehanna County)

You're very lucky! Crawling aroung on the floor with a flashlight is much better than pawing through a vacuum cleaner dust bag of nasties looking for a small part!

'Course as long as the parts you're looking for are steel you could always use a magnet to aid your searches.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Montgomery County)

Man, I just love a happy ending!

Ham radio: when all else fails.