Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Crawford County)

Question Need suggestions on light / laser combos.

howdy all:

there are just too many light / laser combos out there to choose from. i needed to get one for my small arm and one for my long gun. i'm one of those guys who researches for a living. really. i'll save you some time in that if you're looking for a combo for your small arm get the viridian x5l. i bought one and it is really nice. no, i don't sell veridian stuff. red lasers will soon be a thing of the past. my opinion of course. that green laser is unbelieveably easy to see in both daylight and darkness.

the light on the viridian however won't cut it with regards to use on a long gun as it dispurses too much light. great for home defense, not for outside. that is to say it is not a focused beam so that one can see beyond well beyond 40 feet. so i need you all to recommend a combo for outside that has both a strong beam for BOTH light AND lazer. i can't seem to locate any company that offers the green laser with a focused beam combo.

any suggestions? need your advice.

me

Default Re: Need suggestions on light / laser combos.

I have a green laser that is much brighter than the Viridian and it's still difficult to use/see on a sunny day. Fact is that green lasers are easier to see, but on a sunny day it won't matter if you have a green or red laser.

The green laser is better to see compared to red, but there still needs to be advances in green laser technology.

I like that Viridian offers a green laser/light combo, but I think it's Fugly.

Currently you only have Viridian as an option if you must have green laser/light.

I find that lasers are a bit of a gimmic and I have gone back to only using rail mounted lights. Having my tools KISS helps me and prevents me from having to concern myself with a laser failure.

ETA: Don't forget that it's not just you that can see the green laser better...your enemy can also see the green laser better and pinpoint your location.
    Last edited by aubie515; March 10th, 2010 at 09:40 AM.

(York County)

Not a green laser but Stream Light TLR-2 is a laser/light combo. I was actually looking at this before I bought the TLR-3 light and Crimson Trace grips for my m&p.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I find that lasers are a bit of a gimmick and I have gone back to only using rail mounted lights. Having my tools KISS helps me and prevents me from having to concern myself with a laser failure.
    Lasers are a gimmick, just like trigger jobs, extended magazine buttons, tritium nite sights, finger extension on magazines, hogue finger grips.... All these things are gimmicks. But they also help you shoot better. Even if it is just in your head. And having that peace of mind and being comfortable with your handgun and how it is set up, will make you shoot better for real.

ETA: Don't forget that it's not just you that can see the green laser better...your enemy can also see the green laser better and pinpoint your location.
    I have used my laser / light combo three times now to search my house in the middle of the night after the dog woke me barking at something. The combo allows me to keep both hands on my weapon. The light allows you to ID your target, and the laser confirms that your on target the minute the light hits the bad guy. And since this is about a laser / light combo. I don't think that the bad guy seeing your laser is an issue. He probably can see the light your using better than the laser.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(York County)

I think that laser's have a lot of pros about them. You are able to quickly get off quick accurate shots from the hip and many other akward positions in which you might find yourself during an encounter. They can save time by not having to line up the sights. Shooting from around cover or on the move can be easier with laser sites. The only real cons I can think of is they are expensive, some of them are bulky and some people will only practice with the laser meaning that if the batteries died or a malfunction happened the shooter wouldn't be able to hit the target without the laser.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    I think that laser's have a lot of pros about them. You are able to quickly get off quick accurate shots from the hip and many other akward positions in which you might find yourself during an encounter. They can save time by not having to line up the sights. Shooting from around cover or on the move can be easier with laser sites.
    I agree. They really do provide you with another option if things go badly. They aren't a cure all. Like the "gimmicks" I mentioned above. They are there to help you out in bad times. If something does that, why wouldn't you want to have it available is beyond me.

The only real cons I can think of is they are expensive, some of them are bulky and some people will only practice with the laser meaning that if the batteries died or a malfunction happened the shooter wouldn't be able to hit the target without the laser.
    I rarely shoot with my laser on. I shoot IDPA and USPSA which won't let me us it. When I'm outside in broad daylight, the laser isn't really useful most of the time. It shouldn't be the main source of sighting. I agree with you totally here. It should be an assistant to your other abilities.

Heck the other day, I pulled my CC weapon off my hip, went to check it before putting it up on the shelf, and realized the front sight had fallen off the gun. Now, night sights wouldn't have been worth anything if I had pulled that pistol out to use it. And looking for my front post sure would have screwed me up. But if the laser had been on, it may have given me a point of impact that would have benefited me 100%. Anything can break. Better to have a back up. And a laser can do that quite nicely.

Not the answer... just another thing that may help to save your life one day.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

I tend to find that new shooters or people who do not shoot often tend to use a laser as a substitute for training/practice. Just keep in mind that a laser can be useful, but just like with a red dot...the laser is going to be sighted in for X distance, so consider that when using a laser. If it was me, I would sight in for the longest distance in my home that I would use the laser and sight in accordingly.

I'm not trying to deter anyone from purchasing a light/laser combo. I am merely pointing out that it's not a perfect system. Just like I would prefer a weapon mounted light versus NS for home defense. In that case, when you wake up...you are still "out of it" and may not see the NS very well. A light will allow you to identify your target.

I'm pretty confident in my statements as I work for Streamlight, so I get plenty intel from customers. I get calls from government agencies to average joe and I've heard about every scenario.

At least the OP was smart enough to figure out that he/she needs two light/lasers...(1) for the pistol and (1) for a long gun.