Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Armstrong County)

Default looking for stun gun retailers in Erie area

Sorry about the cross post i'm a newbie.

I was wondering if anybody could recomend a reputable store in the Erie area that sells stun guns.

Thanks for any help.

(Erie County)

Default Re: looking for stun gun retailers in Erie area

Big Woodies Fire Works
    7891 Peach Street
    Erie, PA 16509-4728 - (814) 866-3422

They sell all kinds of knives, stun guns, swords, pepper spray, etc.
    Open Carry: it's whats for dinner.

Careful, Pa has contradictory laws on the matter of stunguns. This one says you can't posess or use one.

18 Pa.C.S. § 908: Prohibited offensive weapons
    (a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.
    (b) Exceptions.--
    (1) It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance, or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. § 5801 et seq.), or that he possessed it briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from an aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any intent or likelihood that the weapon would be used unlawfully.
    (2) This section does not apply to police forensic firearms experts or police forensic firearms laboratories. Also exempt from this section are forensic firearms experts or forensic firearms laboratories operating in the ordinary course of business and engaged in lawful operation who notify in writing, on an annual basis, the chief or head of any police force or police department of a city, and, elsewhere, the sheriff of a county in which they are located, of the possession, type and use of offensive weapons.
    (3) This section shall not apply to any person who makes, repairs, sells or otherwise deals in, uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
    "Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    (d) Exemptions.--The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in the course of their duties are exempt from this section:
    (1) Police officers, as defined by and who meet the requirements of the act of June 18, 1974 (P.L. 359, No. 120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law. [FN1]
    (2) Police officers of first class cities who have successfully completed training which is substantially equivalent to the program under the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (3) Pennsylvania State Police officers.
    (4) Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of the various counties who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (5) Police officers employed by the Commonwealth who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
    (6) Deputy sheriffs with adequate training as determined by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency.
    (7) Liquor Control Board agents who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

But this one here says you can have one for "self defense" as long as it is labeled with instructions for usage and what harm it can cause.

§ 908.1. Use or possession of electric or electronic incapacitation device
    (a) Offense defined.--Except as set forth in subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person does any of the following:

(1) Uses an electric or electronic incapacitation device on another person for an unlawful purpose.

(2) Possesses, with intent to violate paragraph (1), an electric or electronic incapacitation device.

(b) Self defense.--A person may possess and use an electric or electronic incapacitation device in the exercise of reasonable force in defense of the person or the person's property pursuant to Chapter 5 (relating to general principles of justification) if the electric or electronic incapacitation device is labeled with or accompanied by clearly written instructions as to its use and the damages involved in its use.

(c) Prohibited possession.--No person prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to section 6105 (relating to persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms) may possess or use an electric or electronic incapacitation device.

(d) Grading.--An offense under subsection (a) shall constitute a felony of the second degree if the actor acted with the intent to commit a felony. Otherwise any offense under this section is graded as a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(e) Exceptions.--Nothing in this section shall prohibit the possession or use by, or the sale or furnishing of any electric or electronic incapacitation device to, a law enforcement agency, peace officer, employee of a correctional institution, county jail or prison or detention center, the National Guard or reserves or a member of the National Guard or reserves for use in their official duties.

(f) Definition.--As used in this section, the term "electric or electronic incapacitation device" means a portable device which is designed or intended by the manufacturer to be used, offensively or defensively, to temporarily immobilize or incapacitate persons by means of electric pulse or current, including devices operating by means of carbon dioxide propellant. The term does not include cattle prods, electric fences or other electric devices when used in agricultural, animal husbandry or food production activities.

I just learned about this one myself (thanks GL). Now my "stun gun" happens to be a 45 ACP and I never carried one of the electric kind, but for those who do, there seems to be no way of determining how the conflicting laws will be interpreted by the police or the courts. I wouldn't chance it personally. Sorry to confuse the issue, but i hope this helps you and others make an informed choice about them.

(York County)

got mine on ebay my wife and daughter both carry it

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by albjorneby View Post
    got mine on ebay my wife and daughter both carry it

I hope you know what you're doing.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by steveforopen View Post
    Big Woodies Fire Works
    7891 Peach Street
    Erie, PA 16509-4728 - (814) 866-3422

They sell all kinds of knives, stun guns, swords, pepper spray, etc.
    Is that upper Peach? The Jelly Belly place?

My son bought a few knives there.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Is that upper Peach? The Jelly Belly place?

My son bought a few knives there.
    Yeap that's the place...just North of I-90
    "We The People..."

(Cameron County)

in a previous thread it was translated as "pistola paralizante" "Taser Gun" is the trademark of stun guns and konwn you to do ,so "Stun Gun" and "Taser Gun" .
    Last edited by Rebeccatur; October 2nd, 2010 at 09:47 PM.