Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Anti-depression meds and guns

Ok to sum things, counselor said she thinks i might need anti-depression meds, but i dont think i do. Before i go get them just to fancy her idea, will that tarnish my record? I carry and own a couple guns. I heard that the state can pull my LCTF and keep me from buying another gun. I dont think i need them but i dont want to get them just to see if the counselor is right and end up losing my right to own and carry. Anyone have any input? Would greatly appreciate it

Default Re: Anti-depression meds and guns

Quote Originally Posted by JGeezer1986 View Post
    Ok to sum things, counselor said she thinks i might need anti-depression meds, but i dont think i do. Before i go get them just to fancy her idea, will that tarnish my record? I carry and own a couple guns. I heard that the state can pull my LCTF and keep me from buying another gun. I dont think i need them but i dont want to get them just to see if the counselor is right and end up losing my right to own and carry. Anyone have any input? Would greatly appreciate it
    Being on anti-depression meds will not affect your ability to buy/own guns nor to get/keep a LTCF.

Involuntary commitment to a mental hospital will affect those abilities.

(Centre County)

Post deleted by poster, as I am, doing to almost all my posts.
    Last edited by TheF00L; April 13th, 2010 at 05:59 AM.

(Cambria County)

I do not believe my health is in jeapordy over the meds. I do not want them because of the things i have heard of them (Habit forming and such)

Counselor is not able to prescrible meds. I would have to go to doc for them

The reason why i ask, my buddy told me his dad would not go on them because it would inhibit him from buying another gun and the state could revoke his LCTF for it.

I do not believe that i need them, counselor says im stressed over my job and that would help, but i do not think so. I feel that i have a sound mind. When i carry , i am very aware of my surroundings and am very concious of my self. She thinks because i am bummed out about my job that i should be on them, but i honestly dont want to be on them , and not just because of my guns.

I thought about going on them just to fancy her idea , but i just dont like the idea and i am not willing to give up my rights to go on some pill just because she thinks its a good idea. Thats why i come here.. I dont want her to talk me into them like she has been trying to do and all for nothing.

(Venango County)

So, let me get this straight. They want to refer you to a profesional, that can prescripe medication because you are stressed at your job?

Now, I'm not a professional. Lord knows that. But it seems to me that they are rushing into the pills. Everyone feels stress, it's natural. Now, if stress has gotten to the point where you need medication, then by all means it is needed. However, have they suggested anything besides medication? Maybe hobbies, breathing techniques, grilling a steak drinking beer? I have to admit, I have seen what those meds can do to people, and they can go either way. But, I would suggest looking for alternate ideas before going for the medication. Maybe when the weather breaks, grab a few friends, a tent, and go camping. I would just rather you, and anyone for that matter, looks at all the options available, before being put on some medication that could cause problems down the road.

(Centre County)

Post deleted by poster, as I am, doing to almost all my posts.
    Last edited by TheF00L; April 13th, 2010 at 05:58 AM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    So, let me get this straight. They want to refer you to a profesional, that can prescripe medication because you are stressed at your job?

Now, I'm not a professional. Lord knows that. But it seems to me that they are rushing into the pills. Everyone feels stress, it's natural. Now, if stress has gotten to the point where you need medication, then by all means it is needed. However, have they suggested anything besides medication? Maybe hobbies, breathing techniques, grilling a steak drinking beer? I have to admit, I have seen what those meds can do to people, and they can go either way. But, I would suggest looking for alternate ideas before going for the medication. Maybe when the weather breaks, grab a few friends, a tent, and go camping. I would just rather you, and anyone for that matter, looks at all the options available, before being put on some medication that could cause problems down the road.

Lol.. Love the train of thought also... Cabin fever i guess. I have been coping with working on puzzles and playing flight simulator on the computer but the counselor seems to think im becoming secluded this way. I think she is a loop. I told her that i like to have a couple beers and hang out with the guys. She thinks that the only way out is to deal with meds. I seen what they have done to my sister and i dont want to be on them. I dont want to be on them and i dont think i need to be on them. I a waiting patiently for fishing season to start so i can get out.

But it seems to be everyone has come on a consensious that my counselor is a quack just like i thought. I dont need meds! I just need a life! I need to get out to the range and put a couple rounds through tiff and then all will be good. She has been complaining that i have not been spending enought time with her lately. She keeps complaining that she just tags along on my hip and i dont pay enought attention to her.. If that dont make me seems like a quack, i dont know what does..lol

(Lawrence County)

We really don't have enough information here to figure out if you could benefit from medication, but Hired Goon has it right.....it's not going to impact your ability to own guns or carry.

A therapist is no different than a mechanic, electrician or plumber......you hire them to fix a problem. If you don't like your counselor......just fire her. Get another one. If the new one thinks you could benefit from medication.....you probably could. Another professional opinion doesn't hurt.

Everyone has heard the nightmare stories of people who have been misdiagnosed and have continued to take the wrong medications. It does happen, but most of these instances could have been avoided if the client had been totally honest with the doctor about their symptoms or if they simply stopped taking the medication if they encounter nasty side effects. You have the right to stop medication anytime you want (although some meds need to be weaned off slowly so you don't encounter certain side effects). You are in control of your own treatment. Also know, however, that a practitioner can only go by the information you give/present them. If you are holding anything back or minimizing symptoms you increase their risk of misdiagnosing you.

The real problem with prescribing psychotropic medications is that we know many can be beneficial, but it may take some trial and error to find what works for that particular client. Depending on the diagnosis and the client's situation, meds may be the most effective treatment......OR simple cognitive therapy may be more beneficial. Some people do just need a vacation.... Some therapists hedge their bets and just combine talk therapy and medication automatically because there is an inherent risk to treating a depressed client. It's a lazy way of doing treatment from my perspective, but some consider it the lesser of evils when you consider the risks involved.

That being said......some therapists are very, very good and may see changes in your behavior that you have slowly slipped into that are sound indicators of a problem. There are clinical and logical ways to parse out whether a behavior problem is natural and/or environment (adjustment disorders that do not typically require medications) or whether it could be due to a physical ailment or issue (thyroid problems often do require medication) or whether it does have to do with brain chemistry and could potentially benefit the client by prescribing certain medications. I don't feel like it's necessary to get into the dynamics of that right now as I don't want to confound your treatment, but I can say this.......

If you think your therapist is a "quack" then you need to tell her that......not people who are still on the internet at all hours of the morning.

Lycanshortversionjustreadtheboldthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Adams County)

My wife is a couselor and she, as well as myself, think that meds should be a last resort. Prescription drugs have become the easy way out for counselors and psychiatrists. Someone has a problem? Don't give them anything constructive to do, drug them instead. What do they care? They are still getting paid and the pharmaceutical companies make money hand over fist giving kickbacks to doctors for loyal service. You know what I do when I get stressed? I take my pack of 9mm pills to the range and destress. Or, you can just get out and do anything relaxing to you. Even if it's just going for a drive on a raod you've never driven. Also, when the weather breaks, all will be good. Many people get cabin fever in the wintertime, myself included.
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy. Hippie and 3%er.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheF00L View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I am not a Doctor but I like this train of thought!

Is that kinda like .. "I am not a gynaecologist ... but i will take a look"
    An Armed society is a polite one

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast