Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Delaware County)

Default Painted Grips on my Ruger P85

When I was big into modification of the interior of my old Plymouth Neon, removing the plastic door panels and dashboard, sanding them down, and painting them colors to match the body paint and give the car an overall matching theme, I really enjoyed taking something I owned and giving it my own custom flare. Buying something and owning it is one thing, but completely separate from that is making it mine. I've owned this Ruger P85 for a couple of weeks, but now, it's mine.

One with the flash,

And one without flash.

I took the grips off, gave them a real rough and thorough cleaning with a stiff-bristled brush, dried them off well, then hit them with two thin coats of Krylon FUSION spray paint, the can of which I bought at WalMart for less than $3. Allowed enough time to dry properly, they went back on, and I think they look rather sharp.

This morning, I ordered four more pairs of new-in-the-box OEM grips as well, so when they come in I can tinker with them too. I can have a pair of stock ones, as well as red, blue, gold, and maybe pitch black. Or, I can do some custom designs with stencils. I am pretty handy with stencils and a few cans of spray paint to make detailed and intricate designs, so we'll see how things turn out.

ETA: 3/13/10 - a couple of new pics - blue and hunter green grips. I know it's just a rattlecan job, but I think it looks pretty cool. I prefer the blue to the hunter, but the hunter is nice as well.

With flash -

without flash -

Last edited by ViperGTS19801; March 13th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
    Junior