Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default AK 47 Recoil echoing through stock?

It's actually hard for me to describe, and maybe I'm not saying it right. When I fire one of my AK's (the Romanian fixed stock with US poly Bulgarian copy furniture) after a while my face takes a serious beating. I haven't really been shooting this AK in a while since ammo for x39mm went through the roof last year. I had a bunch of .223 and .22LR to shoot through the AR15 and stuck with that to save the stock of x39mm I had.

Well I've since replenished and the last few times I've been out I took the AMD since it's newer and it's my woman's favorite rifle.

So yesterday I brought this one out of retirement and it was great! But after a couple magazines it really kicked the crap out of my face. It does not do this at all initially but the more I fire it - the more recoil seems to echo down through the stock into my face. It gets worse and worse until I can't even put my face on the stock.

Is this just a worn out recoil spring? I'm noticing a good bit of fouling the entire way down the piston and bolt carrier as well. It never did this before. The round count of this rifle is approaching the 2-3k barrier but it is not neglected. It is regularly cleaned and inspected for problems wear etc.

Am I missing something? Do I just not have enough fat in my face to absorb the recoil or have I just grown unaccustomed to the rifle? I was shooting the PSL all day too and it has solid poly SVD stock assembly on it and it recoils but it doesn't do anything to my face. And I shot 20 rounds or so with the cheek pad flipped to the side shooting with the irons. (Right on the tang - plastic / metal portion.) No issue. What I'm talking about feels like a live wire right on your face. It's a side to side reverberation that literally vibrates into my bone in my face.

I'm not trying to sound like a bitch but I'm not kidding this is unbearable. The first 100 or so rounds it doesn't do it at all. Then it starts to do it more and more until it feels like the bolt carrier is being stopped by my cheek.

I had a recoil buffer sitting around and I tried it with and without and it makes absolutely no difference.

Help?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AK 47 Recoil echoing through stock?

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Dude you totally caught me EM... I like shopping with my woman. That must be the vagina barrier spell put on all AK's. If you are a bitch they bite you in the face.

Ok now seriously... is this thing over gassed? Did I somehow fuck this rifle up? (I'll be so angry with myself as this is by far my favorite weapon I own.) I try to know as much as I can about these rifles but I'm no AK armorer. If I remember correctly before I put it in hibernation due to ammo availability, it had already started to do this after the round count got high during the day.

Is my spring just trashed?

(Allegheny County)

So you're positive that it's actually getting "worse" the more rounds you put through it, and it's not that you're just feeling it more? (as in, your face just can't take it any more)

Not that I have any idea what the problem is, just clarifying in case someone reading may know.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Washington County)

Have you tried a recoil buffer? Perhaps teh bolt carrier is slapping the rear trunion just a bit more on that rifle, giving you a bit of face slap.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

So you're positive that it's actually getting "worse" the more rounds you put through it, and it's not that you're just feeling it more? (as in, your face just can't take it any more)

Not that I have any idea what the problem is, just clarifying in case someone reading may know.
    Actually both. At first the rifle does not do it. As the round count goes up in a given day it progressively gets more pronounced. As it gets worse the less my face can take. In fact the bottom corner of my cheek bone is still quite sore today. I'd put it on par with "the day after" a not particularly solid punch to the lower cheek bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Have you tried a recoil buffer? Perhaps teh bolt carrier is slapping the rear trunion just a bit more on that rifle, giving you a bit of face slap.
    I listed it above that I tried it both with and without and it makes absolutely no difference. When it started hurting my face I went to the rifle bag and put it in. It still progressively got worse.

(Bucks County)

A new recoil spring could help and should be fairly cheap.

It also may sound funny, but try pressing your cheek harder against the stock. I let my cheek come off the stock shooting 1 3/8zo slugs out of the shotgun once.........Once.

(York County)

I think you got too used to shooting the AR

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Emptymag again.
    USMC 2/10 1982-85
    ~REMEMBER FT. HOOD~

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    A new recoil spring could help and should be fairly cheap.

It also may sound funny, but try pressing your cheek harder against the stock. I let my cheek come off the stock shooting 1 3/8zo slugs out of the shotgun once.........Once.

Yep I did that. I was able to do it about 4 times before I slung the rifle and paced about MF'ing and rubbing my cheek bone for about 2-3 minutes.

I put a death grip on the rifle shoved my face into it as hard as I could and pulled the trigger. And I paid for it. So I figured OK. This part of my face has absolutely had it. I'll go up close and look over the sights with a chin weld and see if it's just my face being sore at this point or something is actually going on here. And it did the same thing to my jaw. Here's about how things went.

My buddy put 40rds of Barnaul BB FMJ down the pipe before he left. I put about 40rds of B BB FMJ down the pipe maybe 20 minutes later after shooting the PSL some more. (no issues) I then moved on to Wolf Black Box 123gr HP. (40rds) no issues. Then I bump fired from the shoulder (w/o my face on the stock at all) half a 40rd mag of B BB FMJ and bump fired another 5-10rds from the hip. And shot the remaining rounds at the 6" pasty from 35yds. Then I moved on to the 30rd mags I have that have been sitting in the AK case for 2 years now. I practiced transitions to the pistol at various distances and more aimed fire with these. (Hotshot FMJ) This stuff stinks and is more powerful than the B BB FMJ, about the same as the Wolf BB HP. By the second mag each shot it seemed the recoil through the stock became more intense. I put it down mid mag. Shot the pistol some more and let it cool with the bolt open. Then I walked out in the field to about 100yds and shot the PSL prone in about 10" of snow. Thank god for Goretex right? After trudging back to my 35yd table I shot the PSL with the irons to see where they were relevant to where I was with the scope braced against the bench. This put my face on the hard part of the stock that was already sore from the AK. Nothing. No issues banging away with another 20rds of 54R. I could do this shit all day pain free.

So I walk up and shoot another mag or two through the Glock. Clean up a little and grab the AK. Finish off the rest of the mag wincing and then hovering away from the stock to knock out another pasty. Man WTF! OK- well maybe it's just this HOTSHOT shit. So I slap in my HD 20rd mag of Wolf MC 124gr HP. (8M3 - the old stuff w/laquer sealer) Worse. This is when I jam my face into the stock and the stock into my shoulder to be sure that's not the issue. Each shot feels like someone is walking up beside me and hitting the rifle stock into my face with a rubber mallet full swing.

I empty the last couple rounds not near my face and basically said F - this shit. Cleaned up and went.

I have put thousands of rounds down the pipe of all of this ammo before without this type of issue. I put my face on my 12g all the time without issue. The PSL, I've even put my chin near the wire folder of the AMD without an issue. etc etc etc. It's just this particular AK that seems to do it.

Is this just the bolt carrier slamming into the rear trunion and sending unhappy waves of energy into my face or what?

Why did it not appear any different when I put the buffer in then?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast