Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clarion County)

Default Gun Raffles/Bash Laws?

Ok I have been trying to find the ordinance/law about gun raffles.

I am interested in the dealer rules or policies that have to be followed.

The specifics of the quandry is that a voluntary fire co wants to have a gun raffle.

No guns will be processed at the event. No guns will be sold.

The guns will just be there on display.

My question is what does the dealer have to do to make everythingl legal?

Does the event have to be sponsered by a sportsman club?

If the dealer is there, can the guns be displayed - without bolts-? Or is there some additional paperwork to be filed?

Or according to some indiviuals, the guns can not be displayed and pictures have to be shown?

Remember the dealer is at the raffle/bash.

Can any one give me a link or tell me what the ruling is and where to find the information?

So far I have told many things and woulld like to know the truth.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Gun Raffles/Bash Laws?

You should repost this under the questions thread.

(Jefferson County)

The easiest way is to have the dealer present when displaying the firearms. Bolts can still be installed, you'd just treat the display sorta like a gunshow table.

When the winner is picked, the dealer will write down the winner's info and the transfer would be completed at his/her shop. ..this leaves the firehall out of the loop, only having to pay the dealer.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

Im willing to bet that if you contact a dealer that does these, they will know how to do it. I know plenty of VFDs around here do them.

(Allegheny County)

i know that the one that i go to (forest grove sportsmans club at the kennedy twp. firehall...western allegheny county), a lot of them around here, they do the nics check right there and you walk out with your gun at the gun bash.
    most of these are done by reese supply out of fayette county.

mike
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.
    Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

(Montgomery County)

When I was checking out Donley's Shop in Q-town he was giving advice to another person about Gun Raffles.

Some people would rather have cash. They might be from Jersey or some other state that does not believe in human rights. Or they might already have the same type of gun. So Dave said to show a picture and then they can take cash or go to the gun shop to pick up the gun.

(Berks County)

Technically, if the gun being raffled is a long gun, then I believe a face-to-face transfer is allowed by PA law, so no FFL is required, but you should double-check this as I'm not 100% sure. Regardless, many organizations still use an FFL to transfer long guns to CYA. If the gun is a handgun or a restricted item, than an FFL would definitely be required to process the PICS check, sales transfer paperwork, and any other paperwork necessary.

Aside from any FFL issues, IMHO the problem lies with the fact that raffles are technically a form of gambling. So, it would be wise for you to check with the county/state to find out what a fire co. has to do (if anything) to hold a raffle. I don't know the law, but I would think that some type of gambling permit would be required, unless fire companies, NPOs, etc. are exempted.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; January 20th, 2008 at 10:20 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Jefferson County)

They need a game of chance license issued by the county.

If the FFL is gonna hand out the rifle, the normal paperwork and PICS call is needed. Some places has the phone line or cell reception to do the PICS call, some places dont at those bashes.

When there are 10-100 guns being given away, it would be too time consuming for the club or firehall to fill out all the 4473's and handgun xfer forms in a member's name to give away. ..not only that, its best for the receiving party to have it transfered in their name.

Just ask that the FFL that the firearms are being purchased through come to the giveaway. Let him transfer the arms to the winner directly, you dont want them in your name.. It would be up to the FFL to decide if he/she wants to, or has time to, transfer there on the spot. Most that I've been to had the transfers completed at a later date at the FFL's shop at the leisure of the winner. When there are 10-100 guns given away, there isn't much time to do all the PICS calls or fill out the paperwork.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!