Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Shooting style- One Eye or Two?

I was taught not long ago to find and shoot with your dominant eye open, non dominant eye closed.
    I have read that this is not the optimum choice - shooting both eyes open is best ie peripheral vision. I tried yesterday shooting with both eyes open - what a tough time - double vision and it took a long time to see what i think was the proper target of the 2 which wasnt too bad as i did hit the paper plate at around 21ft or so. It was not an obvious vision but i felt almost a guess.

How do most shoot a pistol - 1 eye or both? And why?
    Thanks for any insight.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Shooting style- One Eye or Two?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    I was taught not long ago to find and shoot with your dominant eye open, non dominant eye closed.
    I have read that this is not the optimum choice - shooting both eyes open is best ie peripheral vision. I tried yesterday shooting with both eyes open - what a tough time - double vision and it took a long time to see what i think was the proper target of the 2 which wasnt too bad as i did hit the paper plate at around 21ft or so. It was not an obvious vision but i felt almost a guess.

How do most shoot a pistol - 1 eye or both? And why?
    Thanks for any insight.
    I mostly shoot with one, mainly because that's the way I was raised, and it's what I'm used to. If one can shoot accurately with both open, that's great, and a 1-up IMO... but I had never gotten real accustomed to it.

Practice something long enough, and it will become nature. It just takes a lot of getting used to to shoot that way.
    III%

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    I mostly shoot with one, mainly because that's the way I was raised, and it's what I'm used to. If one can shoot accurately with both open, that's great, and a 1-up IMO... but I had never gotten real accustomed to it.

Practice something long enough, and it will become nature. It just takes a lot of getting used to to shoot that way.
    I agree. I'd like to practice more 2-eyed also. As soon as I discovered the "straight thumbs" method of gripping the pistol, I was amazed how much it helped bringing to bear on target quickly. It's amazing how pointing your thumbs at the target zeroes right in with the barrel, and seems to help with shooting both eyes open.

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/public/301.cfm

http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_t...ombatg_100306/

Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Monroe County)

Red face Re: Shooting style- One Eye or Two?

i shoot with both eyes open. the trick to get around the double vision illusion is to not try to look through the rear sights. instead, focus on lining the front sight up with the target. you may have to work on your vertical aiming, but it usually puts you right on horizontally. the way i was told this was "just put the pumpkin (target) on the post (front sight) and pull the godd@*n trigger"

i know, this is a pretty crappy explanation, so if anyone knows a better way to explain what i'm saying, please do.
    Last edited by MischaBurns; March 5th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Lawrence County)

Shooting with 2 eyes was hard when I first started out. A dime sized piece of scotch tape on the non-dominant lens of the shooting glasses helped. Get used to it and work your way down to smaller pieces of tape....you might end up squinting the non-dominant eye.....that's ok.....it'll come.

Lycanfeelsweirdatfirstthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Cambria County)

Start playing the games.

Shooting IDPA, USPSA, IPSC will make you aware of how much faster it is to shoot with both eyes open. Especially when moving, and/or having to engage multiple targets. With one eye closed you realize how much of the "field" you have limited yourself too seeing when your under pressure.

I shoot with both eyes open, but do mainly use my dominant eye when looking thru the sights. (if that makes sense) I think it is something you have to just get use to. So start now.

When you are just standing and shooting at a target, you have to much time to think about what your doing. Next time you go out. Pull up and shoot as quickly as you can "accurately". Try multiple targets quickly. Look at the target, bring your pistol up and get your front post on the target and the rest just seems to happen for me.

I shoot badly when I try to shoot to fast or when I start thinking about it to much, but that is just me doing stupid stuff.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Schuylkill County)

Both eyes open all the time even with my scoped rifles, unless Iam shooting beyond 200 yards, then it's One eye closed.

\But I always have Dominate eye open.....

(Allegheny County)

Went out to the range today -brrrr its been cold and breezy the last 3 days i've been there. So, no better today, in fact maybe a little worse. I got some bulleyes but some shots didnt even hit the paper plate at 21 ft.
    My eyes and brain are playing tricks on me - if i think i got it right - front sight and orange dot on plate center - i will sometimes check by closing my left eye and sometimes its way over meaning i am not using my dominant eye - but then many times its on target. If i had to shoot quickly, i would be lost this way. One eye shooting is decent and i don't like my laser sight as i most often dont even notice it -maybe i am not gripping tight enough for it to work. I prefer to use the iron sights although not great on a smith snubby revolver. My 3" has better sights. i guess more more and more practice. Ammo is costly so i might just use my smith 63 revolver (22LR) for this kind of practice.

(Carbon County)

I've been practicing shooting pistol and rifle with 2 eyes open and have been slowly getting better. Funny thing is I've been shooting my indoor archery league and 3d bows with 2 eyes open for years. For some reason it comes natural to me with the bow, so I'm making a real effort to adapt all my shooting to this way.

(Monroe County)

both eyes open here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast