Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Thumbs up Carrying in WAWA!

I work next door to a Wawa, and go there quite frequently. So, i decided to email HQ to ask what their policy on guns is.

my email was basically hi, i work near a Wawa, and was wondering what your policy is on guns, are they permitted as allowed by law or etc...policy #?....you get the idea.

this was the reply i got:

Good Afternoon Mischa,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Wawa Consumer Relations with your questions regarding our policy on guns permitted in the stores. Wawa We does not have a policy in place, however Wawa has the right to exclude a person from shopping in our stores in PA if we desire, based on a person carrying a weapon. This would be strictly up to the General Manager of the store.

I hope that I answered your question.

Thank You,
    Angela

Angela D. Jarmuzek
    Customer Relations Manager
    1-484-840-4010
    angela.d.jarmuzek@wawa.com<mailto:An...ze k@wawa.com>
    "There are no traffic jams along the extra mile."
    what do you think? apparently, they don't care what we do, as long as we're responsible, or at least that's what i read.

should i press for a policy # noting this? they may just not have one, though.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Carrying in WAWA!

I'd say that's a correct response. WAWA is private property, and they can legally remove anyone they wish for whatever reason they want, whether it be weapon related or not (as long as it's not a question of race, color, religion, etc). The company does not have a policy against carrying (good), but I feel leaving the on-site decision up to the store GM is appropriate.

My personal feeling: Carry it concealed, and avoid the problem to begin with. If they don't tell you that you can't have it, don't ask for permission. Just do it. (OC advocates, I agree with the spirit of OC, but I like to keep a low profile, personally)

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MischaBurns View Post
    I work next door to a Wawa, and go there quite frequently. So, i decided to email HQ to ask what their policy on guns is.

my email was basically hi, i work near a Wawa, and was wondering what your policy is on guns, are they permitted as allowed by law or etc...policy #?....you get the idea.

this was the reply i got:

what do you think? apparently, they don't care what we do, as long as we're responsible, or at least that's what i read.

should i press for a policy # noting this? they may just not have one, though.
    I don't think you read that right at all. What she said was that they don't have a corporate policy on that issue. She also states that they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who is carrying a weapon, at each store's general manager's descretion. In other words, every store has a general manager, and every general manager is free to decide to deny you service based upon the fact that you are armed, or not, with corporate's blessing.
    She stated very clearly that they have no policy on the subject, so why would you press for a policy # noting it?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Northampton County)

Why don't you just email every single retail company out there and demand a firm policy on firearms? Make them think you are putting them in the political crosshairs Starbucks is in right now. So they have to make some kind of company-wide stupid decision that you won't like.

Carry wherever the heck you want within the law. Unless against the expressed requirements of the property owner/operator. If somebody has a problem, and you decide you don't like that, then contact corporate and complain.

No policy on this issue is the most sensible policy. Don't expect every corporation to rise to the level of Walmart and establish a pro-gun policy. If there's no problem then there's no need for a policy on something so trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    I don't think you read that right at all. What she said was that they don't have a corporate policy on that issue. She also states that they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who is carrying a weapon, at each store's general manager's descretion. In other words, every store has a general manager, and every general manager is free to decide to deny you service based upon the fact that you are armed, or not, with corporate's blessing.
    She stated very clearly that they have no policy on the subject, so why would you press for a policy # noting it?
    The same reason people call ahead to ask if they can carry some place.......

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    The same reason people call ahead to ask if they can carry some place.......
    Exactly. Why try to force some entity that doesn't give a crap to take sides? Their job should be to NOT give a crap. Complain to the ones that HAVE policies or exhibit behavior you disagree with.

Fingers, you missed this gem

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    No policy on this issue is the most sensible policy. Don't expect every corporation to rise to the level of Walmart and establish a pro-gun policy.

Exactly. Why try to force some entity that doesn't give a crap to take sides? Their job should be to NOT give a crap. Complain to the ones that HAVE policies or exhibit behavior you disagree with.

Fingers, you missed this gem
    We were typing at the same time.

(Lehigh County)

Why don't you just email every single retail company out there and demand a firm policy on firearms? Make them think you are putting them in the political crosshairs Starbucks is in right now. So they have to make some kind of company-wide stupid decision that you won't like.

Carry wherever the heck you want within the law. Unless against the expressed requirements of the property owner/operator. If somebody has a problem, and you decide you don't like that, then contact corporate and complain.

No policy on this issue is the most sensible policy. Don't expect every corporation to rise to the level of Walmart and establish a pro-gun policy. If there's no problem then there's no need for a policy on something so trivial.
    Absolutely correct (as ungawa pointed out). "carry on" is my motto. Last night my family and I went to Carrabas - I was OC once I took my jacket off. A couple heads turned during dinner - but then again Im sure some folks read yesterdays Wall Street Journal article regarding OC and the StarBucks debate... it was on the front page and on page B1. Bottom line, I didnt get tossed out, asked to leave, accosted by crazy anti's, absolutely no issue. I havent a clue as to the corporate policy either, nor do I care. The way I see it, Im a paying customer (that just happens to be armed). If they dont want my business then Ill take it across the street or somewhere else. Besides, the economy sucks... I dont know too many places that want to refuse business lately.

(Lackawanna County)

The way I see it is if you call a double handful of places and ask for firm policy, some may choose not to take a stance, some may choose to be pro carry, and some may choose to ban all carry. If they didnt have an official policy before but after the inquiry they decided to ban all carry then it certainly doesnt help the cause.

Besides which, from reading many threads on here any time someone calls and asks "can I carry in your store" its usually "no".

What else were they expecting, and why bother to ask?

Anyway! Ive OCed into several WaWas and never had a problem. Well, other than the wawa gangsters
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Chester County)

They won't know if you carry concealed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast