Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Hating myself / M4

I have always been turned off by rifles with all kinds of gadgets but now i am becoming a hypocrite. This is the one reason i didn't get a flat top. I still may pick some sort of optics but still want to have good old irons for back up

Any suggestions on optics and sling system ?
    Tantric Shooting Team

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Hating myself / M4

is that a 6520? if so good choice, love mine. as far as optics i was thinking of getting the rail that mounts on the carry handle and puts a red dot (eotech for me) cowitnessing with the irons. anything other than an acog or a cheapy ncstar mounted on a rail on top of the carry handle may be too high for a proper cheek weld, with the mounts for optics tho most have access to the irons beneath the scope.
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(York County)

+1 for the EOTech.

Also might consider an Aimpoint Micro, I've never shot through one but they're supposed to be great, especially for what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    is that a 6520? if so good choice, love mine. as far as optics i was thinking of getting the rail that mounts on the carry handle and puts a red dot (eotech for me) cowitnessing with the irons. anything other than an acog or a cheapy ncstar mounted on a rail on top of the carry handle may be too high for a proper cheek weld, with the mounts for optics tho most have access to the irons beneath the scope.
    yes its a 6520... i am doing my research, let me know what you decide on ...
    Tantric Shooting Team

Get one of the Z style rails that will allow you to cowitness your Irons and your RDS.

Personally I prefer aimpoint due to better battery life and other features, that debate is about as big as 9 vs 45, hit the internet up for more reasons. Unless you need the 60 moa ring around the 1 moa dot, Aimpoint usually wins most of those arguments.

I reccommend VCAS slings.

(Armstrong County)

I highly reccomend this for the A2 carry handle

http://www.cmore.com/scout.html

I know a ton of people that love them. When I have the $$$ I am going to order one.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda240 View Post
    I have always been turned off by rifles with all kinds of gadgets but now i am becoming a hypocrite. This is the one reason i didn't get a flat top. I still may pick some sort of optics but still want to have good old irons for back up[/IMG]

Any suggestions on optics and sling system ?
    See what being a hater gets you? Should have gone for the flat top! You can ALWAYS put a carry handle on a flat top for that A2 look and feel. But putting an optic on a carry handle is nowhere near as simple or fun of a task. Nor are the options anywhere NEAR as good, repeatable, sturdy, etc.

In the end though you CAN just buy an A3 upper and switch it. I did. I got a heavy upper without the port door or forward assist when I bought my rifle. And decided I wanted an ejection port cover. So I bought a new upper rec. and switched all my shit out. Threw all my stuff back on and was <1" from my original POA/POI. Gotta love that American engineering and tolerances! If you're pissed spend the $150 and swap that upper out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Get one of the Z style rails that will allow you to cowitness your Irons and your RDS.

Personally I prefer aimpoint due to better battery life and other features, that debate is about as big as 9 vs 45, hit the internet up for more reasons. Unless you need the 60 moa ring around the 1 moa dot, Aimpoint usually wins most of those arguments.

I reccommend VCAS slings.
    This ^^^ and agree about the Aimpoint as well. Lighter, lasts longer = better.
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; March 4th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.

(Monroe County)

I am a big fan of the original 1960's look for the M15/AR15 myself.

(Allegheny County)

I would replace the handguards with a drop in rail, many to choose from. I personally like the DD Omega, but there are others such as Troy, Sampson and a Knights RAS which may be better for an A2. Then you can put a Eotech or Aimpoint on the rail and your irons should co-witness the bottom third of the optic.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by smoke-wagon View Post
    How would you mount an optic on top of a fixed carry handle and have them cowitness with the irons?

To the OP,
    I think your best bet might be getting a flat top upper body (~$85) and throwing the parts from your current upper into it or even just a complete upper so you'd only have to switch the barrel. Get a Magpul BUIS rear sight for ~$50 and you're looking at around $135 total to have a folding rear sight and more optic mounting options.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast