Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Re: Monthly "tactical shoot" 3 gun match

BerksCoDave;
    Looks good for Sat. Hope to see you then.
    Rundownfid

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    BerksCoDave;
    Looks good for Sat. Hope to see you then.
    Rundownfid
    Good deal man! Shooting all 3 guns?

(Perry County)

Looks like great weather for the shoot tomorrow!!!!

70s and sunshine in the middle of March, oh my.

3 guns to shoot, it doesn't get any better.

(Montgomery County)

Looks like I'll be able to make it (pending a Sale that might come through which would tie me up, maybe).

If I'm there, I'm in for 3 guns . . .

Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Berks County)

Other than a nasty sunburn, today was great. I'll post a link to the scores once they're posted.

(Montgomery County)

Sounds good. My sunburn's not so nasty, but it is obvious.

Lot of fun today, thanks Dave.
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Perry County)

Brief review:

There were 46 shooters, only 3 squads (there needed to be 4 as 15+ shooters takes forever). The match had interesting courses of fire. However, there were no long rifle shots, limited distance due to the bay layout. I would suggest some reduced size targets as there seems to be no place longer than about 50 yds.

Shot guns were another problem area. There was no reloading on the clock, all courses of fire were 4 or 5 rounds, not even requiring one to fully load a tactical shotgun. I suspect this oversight is due to there being a number of cowboy shotguners. Model 97s were a great gun, but there have been some improvements in the past 113 years.

Handgun was handled pretty well I thought; challenging scenarios, enough movement, given the limit space I thought the handgun portion was well done.

A criticism could be that the shooters tended to not paste well. I suspect that many of the people were cowboy shooters and not used to pasting up the targets quickly. With 15 shooters on a squad pasting and resetting needs to be almost simultaneous with the scoring and it was not.

The club is new to three gun and is still working some of these issues out. All in all I had a very good time and the weather made the day outstanding. When shooting 3-guns fast and furiously under a bright sun on the first day of summer, whats not to like?

One more nit to pick at, I still, 24 hours later, don't see scores posted. All the above criticisms aside, this was a fun match with considerable promise for an even better future. They even had Pizza delivered for $1.50 a slice!!

Nothing I have said should be interpreted as a slam at this club. If you have never run a match you can not believe how difficult it is to do really well. I am confident that Heidelsberg has the will and the ability to overcome all their growing pains. I offer the above as constructive criticism, in no wishing to imply that this was a poorly conceived match. The people were friendly and inviting, they will continue to improve their game.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    Brief review:

There were 46 shooters, only 3 squads (there needed to be 4 as 15+ shooters takes forever). The match had interesting courses of fire. However, there were no long rifle shots, limited distance due to the bay layout. I would suggest some reduced size targets as there seems to be no place longer than about 50 yds.

Shot guns were another problem area. There was no reloading on the clock, all courses of fire were 4 or 5 rounds, not even requiring one to fully load a tactical shotgun. I suspect this oversight is due to there being a number of cowboy shotguners. Model 97s were a great gun, but there have been some improvements in the past 113 years.

Handgun was handled pretty well I thought; challenging scenarios, enough movement, given the limit space I thought the handgun portion was well done.

A criticism could be that the shooters tended to not paste well. I suspect that many of the people were cowboy shooters and not used to pasting up the targets quickly. With 15 shooters on a squad pasting and resetting needs to be almost simultaneous with the scoring and it was not.

The club is new to three gun and is still working some of these issues out. All in all I had a very good time and the weather made the day outstanding. When shooting 3-guns fast and furiously under a bright sun on the first day of summer, whats not to like?

One more nit to pick at, I still, 24 hours later, don't see scores posted. All the above criticisms aside, this was a fun match with considerable promise for an even better future. They even had Pizza delivered for $1.50 a slice!!

Nothing I have said should be interpreted as a slam at this club. If you have never run a match you can not believe how difficult it is to do really well. I am confident that Heidelsberg has the will and the ability to overcome all their growing pains. I offer the above as constructive criticism, in no wishing to imply that this was a poorly conceived match. The people were friendly and inviting, they will continue to improve their game.
    I am not in charge of the match, but I will do my best to address your points.

1. I totally agree four squads would have led to a smoother match. I too am hopeful that in the future with this kind of turnout, we will run four squads.

2. Yes, the bay layout limits how far out we can place rifle targets. To be honest I don't believe we've ever discussed using reduced size targets. I will bring it up.

3. The shotgun portions of the stages were kept simple as this was the first match of the year. Don't worry, the shotgun sections of the stages will become more involved/challenging.

4. We expect everyone in the squad to help with pasting, etc. If you see a large portion of your squad not helping, please bring it to the attention of your squad's RO.

5. We take the score sheets to a local gun shop and they post them on their website. We normally finish shooting earlier than we did on Saturday. The shop was likely closed by the time the person with the scoresheets left the club after the match.

(York County)

Had I been back in PA I would have been there! I'm trying to find 3 gun matches out here in Kansas, but it requires lots of driving...

(Perry County)

BerksCo.Dave:
    Here is a link to the reduced (1/2 size) they are listed as airsoft.

https://www.targetbarn.com/newstore2...RDBOARDTARGETS

These are challenging at 50yds = 100 with standard targets, of course with less wind drift and no need to adjust for distance.

Too bad you don't have a range that has 100yd capability, that is where a rifle really starts to shine. Still no results?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast