Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Wayne Co. Sheriff - Eddie Eagle program

I just got a response email from Sheriff Steelman. He agreed to instruct my daughters' Girl Scout (Brownies actually) troop in the NRA's Eddie Eagle program next month.

I'll update later once I see how it goes.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Wayne Co. Sheriff - Eddie Eagle program

Well, the Sheriff and a deputy drove down from Honesdale this evening and put on a show for the girls. The video that the NRA put together for the program was a little random but, it was apparently effective enough. The girls were singing the "stop, don't touch, walk away, tell an adult" tune even while they were brushing their teeth before bed.

The girls all responded well to the Sheriff's portion of the program. They participated pretty actively. Sheriff Steelman seems like an OK guy, too. We BSed a bit before and afterward.

He said that he's willing to put on the program to anyone interested. If you need to contact him, the email address from the County website is msteelman@co.wayne.pa.us .

He also mentioned that the county will be upgrading their system for doing all LTCFs to a computerized system sometime around September or October this year.

(Bucks County)

I am glad to hear they enjoyed the Eddie the Eagle Program.

Did they have hand outs as well?

The Pennsylvania Friends of the NRA makes the Eddie the Eagle program possible through money from grants etc.

The funding comes from the Friends of the NRA dinners.

I am happy to see you are taking advantage of what is out there.

http://www.friendsofnra.org/

What happened in the video?

Do you think PA should have this educational tool in the school system as part of their curriculum?

(Lackawanna County)

A video is also available through the National Sport Shooting Foundation (www.nssf.org); free for teachers (in Safety, under Education) That uses McGruff for the primary grades, and also has videos appropriate for middle-school and high-school.

Yes, I think that we should be teaching gun safety, especially the Eddie Eagle mantra, as early as first grade, or even kindergarten.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Wayne County)

Sandcut
    Sheriff Steelman is alright in my book. I`m glad the program went well. How many children attended?

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Did they have hand outs as well?

Yes they did. I haven't had a chance to look over them, though. Each girl got a signed certificate of completion which was nice.

The Sheriff passed out gun locks (as many as you wanted) to anyone that wanted them.

What happened in the video?

They set up a story about how Eddie was hatched and how he came to watch out for safety for guns. Then they ran a couple of scenarios where Eddie saw kids playing where they came acrossed a rifle in the attic or a pistol in the closet. That's where the song reinforcement came into play.

Do you think PA should have this educational tool in the school system as part of their curriculum?

Absolutely! I taught my girls when they were 4 and 5. As far as I'm concerned, this should be required in kindergarten or first grade. It's as much of a public health concern as learning to brush your teeth or vaccinations.

I think all children should be taught at an early age to leave a gun alone and tell an adult that it's there if/when they find one. That would be much more effective than pretending that children will never find themselves in that situation.
    I never realized that responding inside the quote didn't contribute to the character count.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    Sandcut
    Sheriff Steelman is alright in my book. I`m glad the program went well. How many children attended?

It was our entire brownie and junior troops.

To be honest, I'm surprised that the training was embraced as well as it was by the troop leader as well as all of the moms. Not one complaint.

The girls even earned a "Safety around the house" patch for it.

(York County)

Gun safety and Eddie Eagle should be taught in every school as soon as the children are able to understand it. Another good thing I heard from someone is if you have kids tell them that whenever they want to see your guns you are to safely unload them and allow the kid to inspect the weapon, making sure they learn trigger safety, not pointing it at themselves or anywhere inappropriate. If you take the mystery out of guns kids will not be so intrigued to play with them when or if they find one. I believe this may the video that you watched. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEBrb_wRYc
    Last edited by S&WM&P40; April 24th, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Wayne County)

Sandcut nice going. My little girl is going to be 36 and she was a brownie. Now I have a grandson to teach and can`t wait to buy him his first gun.