Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Hornady Progressive press

Thinking of buying a progressive press and have settled on the Hornady Anyone else out there have advice???? Thanks Steve

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Hornady Progressive press

I was debating between the Dillon 650 and Hornady for some time. I found this article to be the most comprehensive, factual, and unbiased comparison of the two presses (and the Lee progressive). I settled on the Dillon (and love it), but I've heard great things about the Hornady. It was a really tough decision.

(Monroe County)

I just got my Hornady AP progressive for Christmas. I've only loaded about 300 rounds on it in 9mm and 40 cal. So far so good. It's a solid machine and caliber conversions will cost much less than Dillion. If you are thinking of buying a progressive, buy it. I wish I would have bought the press years ago for a bunch less than I paid this year. I kept putting it off and I paid the price. Hornady gives good instructions and they have great customer service.

(Cumberland County)

Thank you for that article....That convinced me...and the bullet rebate at cabelas brings the price to where i want....going to be hornady....Thanks again... Steve

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Hornady LNL AP

I think you will like the Hornady. Their customer service for reloading questions or equip. concerns is top notch! I'm sure Dillon, LEE, and other manufacturers have the same level of cust. service, but from my experience with a couple issues with Hornady components, they were great.

It took a long time for me to receive my "free" bullets from the offer they have buying their stuff, but I got them, in fact, they apologized for the delay and in place of 1 box of .308 bullets, they did not have to ship, they sent me 3 boxes of XTP hollow points for .38/.357's that I had bought shellplates and dies for. For the 1000 free bullet offer I had, I got the 9mm. That was pretty sweet!

A couple things that might help you, if you load ammo that you will need a case lube, Hornady's spray "One Shot" is a good lube but MAN, that stuff stinks! It'll stink up the room your in and spread to others. Heavy chemical smell when it is still wet. I use Hornady's "Unique" case lube which I think is animal fat, tallow. It works very well. Put a dab between your fingers, rub it around, it melts quickly and a little goes a long way to lube a bunch a cases.

The other thing I learned the hard way, was the LNL AP powder measure will not work with "stick" powders without jamming... I don't think the return spring on the measure is strong enough to crunch through sticks of powder to return the rotor to load the next round. If it were bench mounted separately and handle operated up and down I think it would work with the stick powders ok.

Ball and small flake powders flow through with no problems and have worked fine so far with my set up.

Have fun loading!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    I was debating between the Dillon 650 and Hornady for some time. I found this article to be the most comprehensive, factual, and unbiased comparison of the two presses (and the Lee progressive). I settled on the Dillon (and love it), but I've heard great things about the Hornady. It was a really tough decision.
    Great article, max384!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Nice write up. I'm seeing prices as low as $406. Does this includes everything you need to load one caliber? If not what else needs to be purchased.
    Last edited by MMH; March 5th, 2010 at 05:36 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Check out the price of the hornady on this site

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
    Last edited by winchester70; March 6th, 2010 at 10:36 AM.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Nice write up. I'm seeing prices as low as $406. Does this includes everything you need to load one caliber? If not what else needs to be purchased.
    For which press?

Do you have any experience reloading, or will this be your first purchase? If you are just getting into reloading, you will need many other things such as a manual (or several), scale, calipers, etc. Take a look at the sticky in this section.

If you're already a reloader, you'll need dies for any of the brands. The Dillon comes with one caliber conversion kit. I believe the Hornady requires the purchaser to buy the caliber-specific shell plate separately. I believe that the Lee comes set up for one caliber (minus the dies).

Quote Originally Posted by winchester70 View Post
    Check out the price on this site

http://http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005095100[/URL]
    The link is broken.

(Westmoreland County)

the hornady lock and load ap progresive best price i have found

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast