Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: M1 Garands - $375

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    So you can just join the GCA, buy your Garand from CMP, and then don't renew.. kind of as a workaround?
    Looks like it to me. I think I'd renew in this club, though.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    So you can just join the GCA, buy your Garand from CMP, and then don't renew.. kind of as a workaround?
    Yea. There's other requirements too. Like having participated in something shooting related as firearms experience. Requirements
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    I just printed GCA's application out and will mail it today.

I am seeing a beautiful new CMP Garand in my future.

Knight, the GCA costs $25 to join. Why not sign up and take a ride out with me?
    I'd be willing to join and go for a ride for an M1 if any other spots would be open? In Lansdale so pretty close to you in Q-town. Let me know if this comes to fruition and you were open to another tag along...

(Lycoming County)

crlovel and msp701, if you two drove to Williamsport or wanted to meet along the way, I know the way (almost blindfolded). I could drive and you guys chip in for gas/tolls.

I was actually thinking about going up tomorrow, but thats is up in the air. Plus, I have family I was going to stop in and see on the way back.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by clarion44 View Post
    Yea. There's other requirements too. Like having participated in something shooting related as firearms experience. Requirements
    I was trying to find the requirements, but the blasted internet at work is not very firewall-friendly!

Thanks! I'll have to check it out when i get home..
    III%

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by More or less from the CMP Page
    The requirements:

Proof of Citizenship - Check

Proof of Age - Check

Membership in CMP Affiliaateed Organization - Check

Marksmanship or Other Firearms Related Activities - You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

- Current or past military service.
    - Current or past law enforcement service
    - Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    - Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
    - Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    - Concealed Carry License. - Check!
    - Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
    - FFL or C&R license.
    - Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    - Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
    NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Be Legally Elligible to Purchase a Firearm - Check
    Here is what is probably a dumb question. If you order via mail, you have to download forms and do the notary. If you actually go out there, do you need to have these forms with you, and still do the notary, or do you do all of that stuff out there?

(Berks County)

crlovel and msp701, if you two drove to Williamsport or wanted to meet along the way, I know the way (almost blindfolded). I could drive and you guys chip in for gas/tolls.

I was actually thinking about going up tomorrow, but thats is up in the air. Plus, I have family I was going to stop in and see on the way back.
    Tomorrow? I'm thinking maybe in April or May!

I can't up and take off from work, as much as I'd like to, and I have to wait for my membership affiliation with the GCA to kick in.

(Elk County)

You can join the GCA on the spot at the CMP North Store, they have the apps and just invoice you the $25 membership fee along with your other purchases.

Take all of your documents with you, the CMP makes photocopies. Make sure your birth cert is the state-issued version, NOT a hospital birth cert. Passports work, too.

Noah

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Here is what is probably a dumb question. If you order via mail, you have to download forms and do the notary. If you actually go out there, do you need to have these forms with you, and still do the notary, or do you do all of that stuff out there?
    Not a dumb question, because I'm scratching my head right now. My first was a mail order so when I actually went there they had that on file (good for 3yrs unless you move). Hrmmm.... I'd give them a call JUST to be sure, because driving up there and not being able to buy something would suck. I'm pretty sure though you don't have to have the notary one done.

I fill out everything beforehand and take it all with me (except payment info/what I'm ordering/etc). You just have to do it all there anyway. Speeds up the wait.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    You can join the GCA on the spot at the CMP North Store, they have the apps and just invoice you the $25 membership fee along with your other purchases.

Take all of your documents with you, the CMP makes photocopies. Make sure your birth cert is the state-issued version, NOT a hospital birth cert. Passports work, too.

Noah
    Crap, I missed that part. I have no idea where my birth certificate is, or how to go about obtaining one. Research time...

Odd question. When I was 8ish, my middle and last name changed when my mom re-married. Additionally, I lived in MD. Do I go to Maryland for the original BC, or to PA, or would I look for an updated with a new name, or what? (In the odd chance anyone from here has any clue about such an off-topic, LOL!)
    Last edited by crlovel; March 3rd, 2010 at 09:35 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast